Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
high school conditioning/development/supervision
Michael Butler, CSCS,*D, TSAC-F, RSCC*D 6/8/2012 1
Posted: Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:06 PM

Im sure we are all experiencing similar problems across America when it comes to the weight room in high schools. Most of the strength programs are being supervised by physical education teachers with little to no experience when it comes to proper form and execution of a program.

In my area (Palm Desert) I am the authority that most parents come to for training/advice for their son or daughter. When I walk into a high school weight room, I am appauled at what I see. Little organization of space/exercises and technique. The problem I have is I have to volunteer my time in order to show these kids proper form and teach the coach the how to execute correctly. Problem is there are over 8 high schools and 14-20 middle schools out here and I dont have the time or man hours to fascilitate.

What I would like to see happen through our districts is having certified strength coaches take over the weight rooms and pay them as a contractor or as part of what they are doing already with that school, ie...teaching! This would give credibility and reduce these ridiculous injuries that are occurring with the lack of proper supervision.

I would like to hear your ideas/thoughts on how to make positive steps forward in resolving this issue?

Thank you,

Mike Butler

Patrick McHenry, MA, CSCS,*D, RSCC 6/5/2012 11:05:
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:17 PM

Mike

There are several other coaches around the states who feel the same way you do. There are several youth / high school coaches who are working with the national office and a couple of the committees to set up a process that takes the sport coach / pe teacher through steps so they can attain the knowledge needed to pass the CSCS. The group is also working with school districts around the country who are requiring a certified coach in the weight room. 

This is in the developmental stages so nothing formal has been done. Please email me and I can put you in touch with some of the other coaches. 

Ptmach@aol.com

Patrick McHenry