Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
NSCA and the High School Strength Coach
Patrick McHenry, MA, CSCS,*D, RSCC 6/5/2012 11:05:
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 10:07 PM

This is a great opportunity for the High school strength coach. As  Kevin said, no matter what happens a high school coach will be on the board.  

I have been an NSCA member for over 25 years and have served on several different committees, presented at conferences and published in the NSCA journals and books. Now I would like to step up and take it to the next level by working as a board member. 

This is an important time for the high school coach. The NCAA is going to require "...Division 1 colleges and universities to employ strength and conditioning coaches who possess a nationally accredited strength and conditioning certification."  

Now it is our turn. There are too many sport coaches / PE teachers who go into the weight room without the knowledge we, the CSCS, have worked so hard to acquire and try to run the strength programs.  The NSCA needs to step forward and work with the high school athletic directors, risk management, principals and sport coaches to show WHY the CSCS and a strength coach are necessary in the weight room.   

To accomplish this, high school strength coaches need to speak at a wide variety of conferences, get published in journals and magazines. There needs to be more opportunities for the high school coach and more resources.  

The NSCA has the connections in place to make this happen. I would like to be the board member who sees it through. If you have any questions, comments or would like more details.  

Please email me at Ptmach@aol.com   

Patrick McHenry MA,CSCS*D RSCC 

Mr Marcos Rafael Hernandez 2/16/2014 9:37:34 AM
Posted: Tuesday, July 22, 2014 11:33 AM

Patrick McHenry, MA, CSCS,*D, RSCC 6/5/2012 11:05: wrote:

This is a great opportunity for the High school strength coach. As  Kevin said, no matter what happens a high school coach will be on the board.  

I have been an NSCA member for over 25 years and have served on several different committees, presented at conferences and published in the NSCA journals and books. Now I would like to step up and take it to the next level by working as a board member. 

This is an important time for the high school coach. The NCAA is going to require "...Division 1 colleges and universities to employ strength and conditioning coaches who possess a nationally accredited strength and conditioning certification."  

Now it is our turn. There are too many sport coaches / PE teachers who go into the weight room without the knowledge we, the CSCS, have worked so hard to acquire and try to run the strength programs.  The NSCA needs to step forward and work with the high school athletic directors, risk management, principals and sport coaches to show WHY the CSCS and a strength coach are necessary in the weight room.   

To accomplish this, high school strength coaches need to speak at a wide variety of conferences, get published in journals and magazines. There needs to be more opportunities for the high school coach and more resources.  

The NSCA has the connections in place to make this happen. I would like to be the board member who sees it through. If you have any questions, comments or would like more details.  

Please email me at Ptmach@aol.com   

Patrick McHenry MA,CSCS*D RSCC