Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Welcome
Jay
Posted: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 5:29 PM

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Exercise and Sport Psychology Message Board.
Daniel B. Hollander, EdD, CSCS,*D 10/3/2012 4:11:0
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 11:28 AM

This is so exciting!! This SIG helps bridge the gap between what coaches deliver and what athletes receive. 

I am looking forward to the progress of this SIG in the next few months.

Mr Chris Sheffield 10/12/2012 10:54:31 AM
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:08 AM

All concerned,

I just wanted to send a quick reply.  I came across this SIG at the Coaches Conference this January in Nashville.  I am pleased to see this SIG being formed as Sports Psychology is an often over looked component in coaching. 

What I would like to see is a "contexualization" of Sport Psychology for the particular athlete being mentored or coached (i.e. fitness client, sports player, tactical athlete, elderly).  My interest is in representing the needs of tactical athletes in this SIG.

Very Respectfully,

Chris Sheffield

Daniel B. Hollander, EdD, CSCS,*D 10/3/2012 4:11:0
Posted: Monday, May 13, 2013 3:44 PM

Hi Chris,

Your concern is very valid. Tactical Psychology as conceptualized by military research can be uniquely different than many sport psychology contexts.  A series of readings that has helped me integrate and understand these ideas better comes from authors like Chris Janelle, Anders Erickson (esp?). The ACEPs program has also been a very effective program in enhancing soldier readiness. 

With regard to MMA, attention control, pain management, compartmentalization, tactical decisions, and arousal management could all be useful skills to master. Individual strengths and weaknesses would need to be assessed and can be unique each match for the athlete based on perceived strengths and weaknesses of themselves and opponents. The best strategy????? 

This is where we need more work....

article

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22338349

Interview of a consultant in the military 

http://www.spinw.com/index.php/home/item/90-sport-psychology-and-the-military