Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
What is Sport & Exercise Psychology?
Dr. Nancy L. Skaer 6/5/2012 2:44:48 PM
Posted: Thursday, November 1, 2012 7:08 PM

What is your own definition of Sport & Exercise Psychology?  Put it into your own words.

What do you know about this field, if anything? Describe how you have / or would use it working with athletes / clients. 

Mr Josh Hernandez 6/3/2012 5:30:26 PM
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2012 10:06 AM

Dr. Skaer, 

If I had to define sports psychology in my own words it would be: SP is how to prepare and utilize the athlete's greatest asset in training or during sports competition.

SP is new to me. To be honest, I thought it was something that only rich NFL players could afford. It was a strange coincidence that led me to an actual sports psychologist a few months ago. I was training in a gym on Fort Benning, GA and I saw a guy with a NY shirt. Long story short, he was a sports psychologist hired by the Army to work with Soldiers with the concept that performing in combat is similar to performance in sports with similar mental stressors.  On top of that, this guy grew up 10 miles from me in NY and we even went to the same school. 

I compete as a master athlete in weightlifting and I have for a year and I've had issues with calming myself when my name is called and focussing on lifts. Some of the techniques that were shared with me have been helping i.e. visualization, talking through my cues, and lifting under as many different circumstances as possible.  

I often use the word "focus" as a cue when I'm training someone.  A quick explanation of what the standards are followed by a minute to visualize helps and sometimes talking them through the visualization.  

All in all, I know it exists, it's more accessible than I thought, and I would like to learn more about it. 

Christopher Bates, ATC, CSCS, RSCC 6/7/2012 6:46:3
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013 12:51 PM

Sport and Exercise Psych is an area of study and practice that seeks to enhance exercise and performance by addressing every participants fundamental endowments to live a quality life, love, learn, and leave a legacy.
Dr. Nancy L. Graber, PhD 6/5/2012 2:44:48 PM
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2013 6:18 PM

Hey Josh! Thanks so much for sharing your definition, experiences, and thoughts about Sport Psychology.

You certainly are on the right track. There is a LOT to learn so don't worry if you do not know much. There are a lot of people who do not know..yet. Our SIG is a group in which we will be sharing and learning together. Feel free to ask questions.

It is understandable that you are under the impression that Sport Psychologists / Consultants are only for wealthy athletes. While there are professional athletes that use our services, we also work with a number of different types of athletes and people. The example you cited about using Sport Psychology tools and techniques for the military as well as yourself are great examples. In fact, anyone can benefit from learning and using mental skills. 

I am glad you are interested. My personal goal as well as the SIG are t educate and train. I posted this question because I am interested in learning what all of you know now and / or want to know. 

Please get involved in the Exercise & Sport Psychology SIG. We will be doing much more this year in 2013.

Dr. nance happy 

Dr. Nancy L Graber (Formerly Skaer)

Dr. Nancy L. Graber, PhD 6/5/2012 2:44:48 PM
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2013 6:32 PM

Hey Chris! happy 

Thanks for posting your definition. Good one! You were able to condense a very major field into a nice sentence. We certainly want to enhance performance and life. I especially liked you adding "leave a legacy". That is a great purpose for our lives. Something to think about. 

Would you mind sharing any personal / professional experience you have with Sport & Exercise Psychology with us. 

dr nance 

Taylor Joseph Wakefield 8/13/2013 8:18:48 PM
Posted: Friday, December 13, 2013 4:19 PM

Sport and exercise psychology is the study of people and their behaviors in sport and exercise settings. The ability  to master psychological skills training can directly enhance physical performance.