Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Kipping pullups are they safe and effective?
Mr James P Hull, NSCA-CPT 10/19/2012 7:02:56 AM
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:08 PM

Joe A. Sillivent, CSCS
Posted: Friday, August 23, 2013 5:01 PM

I would strongly suggest the person wanting to learn a "kipping pullup" needs to have a deadhang pullup first. There's many reasons for this but the main idea is to get the entire shoulder strong enough so there is no injury. When learning the kipping motion, it can be very jerky and can lead to shoulder injuries. 

Kipping your pullups will not increase strength, it will only make pullups more time efficient. 

Here is a good article related to this topic. http://crossfitbayarea.com/pull-ups-dead-hang-sexy/

Charles Randy Wells, MS, CSCS,*D 6/7/2012 4:55:37
Posted: Sunday, January 5, 2014 11:13 AM

I actually witnessed a person in a fitness  center facility break an arm doing this, why do them? just food for thought
Eric Reed, CSCSD 8/13/2012 3:34:57 PM
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 8:15 PM

Okay. I had to google this one.  In the video I saw, he states"no one has ever coached the kipping pull-up." As a coach, I have a problem with this. He also stated, "it will just happen." We all know this is not so in our profession.  Could you image high school weight rooms if kids with no lifting age were going in and teaching themselves how to lift?

There are so many "good" different variations of pull-ups out there, I think we can leave this one alone.