Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
A Surprising Obstacle To Individualized Training Programs
Karsten Jensen 11/21/2012 5:49:04 PM
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:22 AM

In last week’s blog post, I wrote about the importance of helping the athlete/client to identify their “WHY” as well as creating the strongest WHY possible.

With The Flexible Periodization Method in the initial conversation/consultation, you have already gathered information about the athlete/client through pre-assessment forms.

These forms are the “test before the test.”

Is the athlete/client serious enough about their goal that they are willing to invest 1-2 hours in giving me the information I need to create the RIGHT program with the RIGHT goals? 

Is the athlete/client comfortable with paperwork? 

Most athletes/clients send the forms back right away, but I have also experienced

• Only half of the forms returned.
  • Some saying “Can’t you just give me a program?”
  • “I don’t want to pay to fill out paperwork.”

If I experience problems with getting the forms back I typically explain that

• “the information in the forms is what I need to create an individualized training program for you.”
  • “filling out the forms is a good chance for you to review, for yourself, where you are at right now.”

In some cases this extra explanation seems to make the athlete/client embrace the importance of the pre-assessment. In other cases this extra explanation has no effect.

Should we move forward with training an athlete, who has not given us the pre-assessment forms that we have asked for?

What’s your opinion/experience? Leave a comment!

Thank You for reading to the end of this blog post!
Karsten Jensen, MSc., Strength Coach 

PS:  Stay updated on The Flexible Periodization Method, by becoming a subscriber of our FREE No Gimmicks EZine  or Sign up to automatically receive notifications about new blog posts.

PPS: What does a food fight at a boarding school have to do with individualized training programs? Read next week’s blog to find out. (Excerpted from our new and unpublished manual How To Avoid A GREAT Program with the WRONG Goals: How To Set S.M.A.R.T.R Goals  -  Master Step 1 of The Flexible Periodization Method.) 

Email: karsten@yestostrength.com
Ph: 647-869-YESS (9377)
Mississuagua, ON, Canada