Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Who reads the forum?
Kevin B. Vanderbush, MS, CSCS,*D, RSCC,*E 6/6/2012
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:31 PM

I am interested in who reads the high school forum. The number of views is much greater than the number of replies/posts.  If you are reading this, please reply with:

Name

High School

City/State

Describe Position (full time, after school coach who teaches, sport coach in charge of weight room, private coach brought into school, private gym etc)

Number of years coaching

Size of weight room

E-mail address
Kevin Vanderbush CSCS*D, RSCC*E
Ben Davis High School
Indianapolis, IN
Full time - Teach Wt Training class to athletes - After school strength coach
30 years
6200 sq. ft.
kevin.vanderbush@wayne.k12.in.us

Mr Ryan Joseph Faer 10/9/2012 10:02:12 AM
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 10:55 PM

Ryan Faer
DeLand High School
DeLand, Florida
Volunteer Baseball Coach/Baseball Strength & Conditioning Coach (full-time student finishing Undergrad)
4th year coaching with above position
~ 3,000 sq. feet
ryanfaer@live.com

Josh Wildeman, CSCS 8/22/2012 8:27:13 AM
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 11:53 AM

Josh Wildeman CSCS, RSCC
Castle High School
Newburgh, IN
Full time - Teach Two Athlete Only Weight Training Classes, 4 General Weight Training Classes
Head Strength Coach, Varsity Football Assistant Coach
7 years
3,600 sq. ft.

Steve Jones, CSCS 7/11/2012 11:26:58 AM
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 12:23 PM

Kevin,

I am replying to your post asking for responses from forum users.  I have not been a regular user.  In response to the discussion at NSCA Coaches Conference last week I will be more diligent in checking this  For now, here is info you requested:

Steve Jones

Strength & Conditioning Coach

Christian High School

El Cajon,CA

I am retired a retired naval officer and also retired from my corporate life.  I serve the school without pay, returning any stipends earned to the school.  The school is a private faith based high school with a high school population of just under 400 kids 9 - 12.  It completed this past football season as the #2 ranked small school in California beating, in succession, three schools of enrollments of >2000 to win the California Interscholatic Federation Div III championship.  As I have learned to say this past seasom, these larger schools have 3 left tackles, I only have 1, and he goes both ways.  This clearly presents problems for conditioning and strength.  We succeeded.  We were also fortunate with regard to injury prevention.The school has a successful athletic program.

I have control over a small but adequate weight room.  I open the weight room each day at the conclusion of school classes, approx 3:00 PM.  Any student, no matter whether or not affiliated with a school sport team is welcome.  During FB season I have access to the weight room earlier on some days of the week in order to get in-season wt lifting for FB.  Typically during the fall, in addition to in-season FB, I have preseason basketball, girls volleyball, and some individuals who are out of season e.g. softball, cheer.  Currently, I have just begun our off-season FB program.  My time in the weight room and hours spent developing programs, repairing equipment and doing other admin/overhead functions is normally about 20 hrs/wk.

As with past coaches conferences, the sessions in Indianapolis were helpful.  In addition to getting some new ideas, I also found some affirmation for some of the programs I am running.  Bottom line, coaches conference was very good.  Suggestion:  can the presentations, which I think were video'd by NSCA, be made available to attendees either on U-Tube or otherwise?

Thanks for all you do.   Steve Jones

Kyle D. Will, CSCS 12/6/2012 7:28:20 PM
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 6:40 PM

Kyle Will, CSCS, RSCC

Bend High School, Bend, OR

Private Sector Coach, contracted by school/sport coaches

Been coaching athletes in Central Oregon for 15 years, at Bend High for 8

Weight Room is about 2000 sq feet

willpower05@msn.com

Michael Holst, CSCS 6/20/2012 12:45:36 AM
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 1:01 AM

Michael Holst

Tokay High School

Lodi, CA

Part-time after school coach. I teach in the same district (RSP teacher) and also coach football. I mostly do strength & conditioning with football, but handle other sports as well. I also run a private sports performance company out of the high school weight room focusing on mainly youth training.

I've been coaching for 8 years.

Weight room is 2,000 square feet.

mholst@lodiusd.net

Eric Reed, CSCSD 8/13/2012 3:34:57 PM
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 7:38 PM

Eric Reed

Ironwood HS

Glendale, AZ
After school coach who teaches
I am entering my 9th year of coaching
3,000 sq. feet

Mr Jah-Mar Joel 4/19/2013 8:59:14 PM
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 7:42 PM

Jah-Mar Joel

Phoebus High School

Hampton, VA

I am an assistant football coach and am currently studying for the CSCS certification. For the past two seasons I have collaborated with a couple coaches on the staff to create a lifting program that pushed our athletes more than what they were used to. The football program had been following the Bigger, Faster, Stronger program since '96 but we incorporated agility & plyometric routines, added a couple power exercises and tweaked the conditioning program to try and give our kids an edge. To make a long story short, I am interested in becoming a high school strength & conditioning coach but the position is not offered in VA high schools (at least not in the Hampton Roads area). Can anyone offer advice on where to search for open HS S&C positions? Thanks in advance!   

7 years coaching 

jtjoel82@gmail.com

Kerry Nelson 1/2/2014 6:48:41 PM
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2014 7:24 PM

Kerry Nelson

East Noble High School

Kendallville, Indiana

Full time PE teacher, 4 strength classes a day and after school programs. 

4 years in strength and conditioning, previous football, wrestling, and track coach. 

about 3000 sq ft. 

Looking forward to more posts. 

MR Travis Joseph Williams 5/15/2013 7:13:43 AM
Posted: Thursday, February 6, 2014 8:28 AM

Travis Williams CPT

Merrill High School

Merrill, MI
I am currently a volunteer strength and conditioning coach for the football team. I have been working with the team for 4 years now. I have also done a few small stints with some of the track athletes and basketball players. I am currently working on getting my CSCS.
1600 Sq. Ft.

MR John E. Girton, CSCS 6/5/2012 11:59:13 AM
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 9:48 PM

John Girton, MS, ATC, CSCS, RSCC

Robert E. Lee High School

Springfield, VA

Full TIme, teach 5 sections and run after school program

10 years as an ATC/Strength Coach, 4 years at current position

~1700 square feet

jegirton@fcps.edu

Looking forward to talking with fellow coaches

Brian Torres 6/17/2012 10:39:56 PM
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 12:21 PM

Brian Torres, ATC, LAT, CSCS, USAW-SPC

Tabor Academy

Marion, MA

Full Time - Strength and Conditioning Coordinator 

Part Time - Assistant Athletic Trainer

1st year coaching full time

Roughly 1200sq ft

btorres@taboracademy.org

Christopher Ellis, CSCS, NSCA-CPT 6/5/2012 11:58:4
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:16 AM

Kevin,

Chris Ellis

University of Mary Washington

Fredericksburg, VA

Full-Time w/ benefits

Director of Strength and Conditioning

4 Years

6,000 Sq Ft

You asked who reads the high school forum, and now you know that even college coaches view this forum!

Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2014 10:14 AM

Glad to see a college guy reading the HS forum. 

I often ask this of the college guys - What do you see as the main things that the student athletes that come to you are missing?   In other words - what would you suggest that the high school programs need to pay more attention to?

Michael Tyler Matthews, CSCS 4/19/2013 8:41:21 PM
Posted: Saturday, May 10, 2014 5:10 PM

Tyler Matthews

Ohio Co. High School

Hartford, Ky

After school Strength and Conditioning Coach for Football only as of now.

Just graduated in Dec and received my CSCS. Worked as a D2 college football & basketball strength and development coach in mid Jan. Began working at the High school in March. So years coaching, about 3 month.

2,000 sq ft

Have a great plan to increase power with the football team, but we (my coach and I) have a larger picture in mind to have a strength and conditioning program like Ben Davis. So learning to get players at peak performance while accommodating all sports and athletes.

Garrett Keith, CSCS 8/4/2012 12:00:04 AM
Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 12:18 AM

Garrett Keith

Westminster Christian Academy

Huntsville, AL

Full time strength coach for all sports. Teach an "athletic conditioning" class as well as handle all after school and summer training. 

10 years coaching

2,000 sq. ft. 

Posted: Saturday, June 21, 2014 5:40 PM

Thanks to those that have posted on this thread.  I have noticed over 500 views in the last month on the thread about the National Conference HS Session as well as numerous views on this thread with a very limited number of posts/responses.  If any of you have any idea as to why so few of those that view this forum start a topic or post a reply, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.  Having watched the view total, I don't think it is that no one is getting on here - but I don't see the participation that I have seen on other boards.  I would like for this to be a valuable resource for the HS coach, but it won't be without active participation.  I am interested in your thoughts.