Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Varsity letter guidelines for a strength training powerlifting athlete
Danny M. O'Dell, MA, CSCS,*D 6/5/2012 5:04:32 PM
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2014 12:19 PM

Does anyone have any criteria, guidelines or standards for determining who gets a letter for competing in powerlifting on the high school level?
Eric Reed, CSCSD 8/13/2012 3:34:57 PM
Posted: Tuesday, February 4, 2014 8:19 AM

That is a great question.  In Arizona we only have high school powerlifting organizations that the athletes can compete in.  I have always wanted to make it a sport.

My only suggestion would be to find weight class totals and build your criteria around that.  I would also put a limit on how many meets they had to lift in. 

Good luck with this.  What state are you in? Powerlifting is a great thing for high school athletes.

Danny M. O'Dell, MA, CSCS,*D 6/5/2012 5:04:32 PM
Posted: Wednesday, February 5, 2014 7:55 AM

Hi there,

We are in Washington State and compete in the WABDL due to class room time constraints. So far the student athletes have set State records for our State and several have competed and won in World championship contests. The school pays for one lift and if they want to compete in more than one it is up to the student to fund that portion.

Thanks for the support.

Danny