Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Practical Application for Long-Term Athletic Development
Patrick McHenry, MA,CSCSD 6/5/2012 11:05:38 AM
Posted: Monday, January 7, 2013 6:37 PM

Practical Application for Long-Term Athletic Development 

For those of you who have not had a chance to read Dr. Meadors article I invite you to. It is posted on the NSCA site under the "Learn" section   / "Youth" at the bottom of the main web page. 

Recently there has been a lot of discussions on how to train our youth. Dr. Meadors has taken this to a new level by integrating movement vocabulary, physical literacy and movement skills. 

Many of the HS strength coaches around the country are seeing the same thing, kids who are over-trained and under -skilled. 

I wanted to throw this topic out to generate discussions. 

Patrick 

Joseph W. Heron, CSCS 7/2/2012 10:42:42 AM
Posted: Friday, February 1, 2013 2:21 PM

Great article.

As a High School S&C coach, I really hope more and more emphasis continues to be put on progressing through fundamental movements rather than over-emphasizing sport -specific skills.  I'll do just about anything support this philosophy, and I'll surely reference this article while doing so. 

Joey