Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Exercise and Brain Development
John A. Marquez, CSCS 8/9/2012 1:23:00 PM
Posted: Thursday, January 17, 2013 2:37 PM

We are putting together some information to write a statement paper for the NSCA.  It seems that every once in while we have to justify our contributions to children and our place in education.  The is a copy of a message that I sent to Patrick McHenry to hopefully get the ball rolling.  I believe our organization needs to make a statement for physical education and performance training in our schools.  Any and all help with respect to this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick- 

In the SIG meeting, I volunteered to help write a paper-I've been poking around and looking at some brain development research. I think a good approach would be a focus on the brain development side. As coaches, we build structure in children first, then function. I think this is the true value of physical education and performance training; we help develop the whole child neurologically. When academic learning is the entire focus, we developing function before structure. 
I am pretty inexperienced at this, and I will follow your lead. Just let me know what I can do to help. 
John 

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/11074154 
Abstract 
Brain-derived neurotrophic factor, the most abundant of the neurotrophins in the brain, enhances the growth and maintenance of several neuronal systems, serves as a neurotransmitter modulator, and participates in use-dependent plasticity mechanisms such as long-term potentiation and learning. In recent years, evidence has been gathering that brain-derived neurotrophic factor may have an important role in the neuropathology and treatment of depression. It has recently been reported that chronic (at least two weeks) antidepressant treatment leads to an up-regulation of brain-derived neurotrophic factormessenger RNA levels in the hippocampus, an important brain area for behavioral regulation, as well aslearning and memory. Our laboratory has previously shown that general physical exercise very rapidly increases brain-derived neurotrophic factor messenger RNA in this brain area. In this report, we have tested the hypothesis that the combination of these two interventions, general physical activity and antidepressant treatment, leads to increased levels of specific promoter-derived transcripts of brain-derived neurotrophic factor messenger RNA in a manner that appears to be both additive and accelerated. Our results suggest that these two very different interventions may possibly converge at the cellular level. The induction of brain-derived neurotrophic factor expression by activity/pharmacological treatment combinations could represent an important intervention for further study, to potentially improve depression treatment and management. 

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100915171536.htm 
Sep. 16, 2010 — Researchers have found an association between physical fitness and the brain in 9- and 10-year-old children: Those who are more fit tend to have a bigger hippocampus and perform better on a test of memory than their less-fit peers. 

http://www.dsr.wa.gov.au/assets/files/Research/Brain%20boost_emailer.pdf 
This pdf lists the research between sport, physical activity and student success.Patrick-