Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Shoulder injuries
Nathan R. Dean, DC 9/24/2012 2:03:27 PM
Posted: Thursday, July 25, 2013 9:21 PM

I work with a lot of youth baseball players (15-17 yo).  They always have questions when it comes to weight training and over head work.  The most popular theory that I have been exposed to, is that it is not a good idea to incorporate any heavy OH lifting with throwing athletes.  I have also heard from a few other professionals that this is not a major concern if the athlete doesn't have a pre-existing RC injury.

I'm curious to know how other professionals feel about OH training and throwing athletes?

Matthew Smalling, CSCS
Posted: Monday, August 26, 2013 7:01 PM

I don't have pitchers perform any overhead lifts.  At no time in the pitching motion is the arm overhead so I spend a majority of the time on eccentric strengthening of the posterior shoulder (in addition to scapula stabalization, core and LE strengthening).
Anonymous
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2014 12:50 PM
What if the athlete is a 14y catcher with not a lot of exercise experience and the exercise is an OH squat?
Mr Micah Gregory Kai Ohlen 4/14/2013 8:56:16 PM
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 11:24 PM

I agree with the eccentric strengthening of the posterior cuff,  in addition to core, scapular stabilizers and LE. As the eccentric training will be proactive in preventing the deceleration injuries of the external rotators that can occur in the pitching motion. Even though a pitchers arm may not be as high above the head as an outside hitter in volleyball, I  believe there is a demand for the arm to be above 90 degrees and even 120 during the entire pitching phase. I see a huge benefit in working within the full D2 PNF pattern to promote full glenohumeral ROM, sports specific nueromuscular control, rotary stability  and balance.