Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Marathon Question
Mr Daniel Hannett, MCMSc 1/24/2013 5:37:00 PM
Posted: Monday, September 16, 2013 7:50 AM

Hi, I am currently studying for my CSCS exam in the UK. In the NSCA book and the study questions at the end of chapter 1 there is a question asking,

Which of the following muscle fiber types is the MOST beneficial for a marathon runner?

a) Type I

b) Type IIa

c) Type IIx

d) Type IIc

now the answer in the back says it it c) Type IIx  

Do you agree with this? Is it not a) Type a

Any Explanation stating why Type IIx would be true would be very helpful

Sorry if i have posted this in the wrong place.

Dan

Kathryn Russell, MS, ATC, CSCS,*D 8/22/2012 12:05:
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2013 5:18 PM

In review of the textbook, the answer is correctly identified as: a) Type I.

The question does pose a discussion though and the following information may help:

When working with the majority of marathon runners whose times are in the range of 3 to 4 hours, Type I fibers are the predominant fiber utilized: slow contraction speeds with high fatigue resistance. 

When working with highly elite marathon runners whose times are closer to 2 hours or just over 4 minute miles, then Type IIa fibers are more predominant: fast contraction speeds with intermediate fatigue resistance. 

Furthermore, with endurance training it has been found that Type IIx gradually convert to Type IIa thereby providing a greater number of muscle fibers that can contribute to aerobic endurance performance. (p129, Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning, 3rd edition)

I hope this helps!

Kathryn

(NSCA Education Coordinator)