Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
buzz session
Kevin B. Vanderbush, MS, CSCS,*D, RSCC,*E 6/6/2012
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 6:38 PM

After speaking Saturday at the Coaches Conference I had the opportunity to speak at the AFCA (American Football Coaches Association) conference that is run following the NSCA conference.  They have come up with a concept that I feel would be very beneficial for the NSCA to adopt.  They realized that many of the attendees felt that they learned the most when sitting around talking to other coaches - asking questions and getting into discussions.  As a result, they developed what they called "buzz sessions".  They assign coaches to different rooms based on different interests (they had one for strength and conditioning) and the coaches doing the presenting have nothing more than a dry erase board - no power points, videos, etc.  A majority of the time is to be spent answering questions.  I found that after speaking at the NSCA conference for 1 1/2 hours (not enough time for all I wanted to present) there were still people who stayed after - with the last person leaving 1 hour after I was done - to ask questions.  I have always felt that there needs to be time set aside for this type of activity.  

I am interested in what you think of this concept. As one who has been in the profession for 30 years, I feel like I have a lot to share, and have always felt like this type of activity would allow all to feel that they were able to get answers to their specific questions/situations answered. So - what do you think?

Kevin Vanderbush

Eric Reed, CSCSD 8/13/2012 3:34:57 PM
Posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 7:48 PM

Kevin,

I have been apart of these types of clinics.  I would agree that it is the best thing to do, the only problem is when does it happen?  Right after the speaker is done?  What if the attendees want to get to another speaker?  Do you slot in times later on?  Does the turn-out get cut down because of the wait?

This is a great topic to explore and should be brought up at the National.  Maybe I can take arun at it next month during my regional?

Kevin B. Vanderbush, MS, CSCS,*D, RSCC,*E 6/6/2012
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 5:35 PM

I think the best time would be in the early evening, when there are no presentations on the agenda.  At the national it would have to be Thursday evening, to avoid conflict with awards dinner on Fridays.  Many are not in for Wed night and many leave before Sat night.

At the AFCA it started at 6:00 when no regular presentations were going on.

MR John E. Girton, CSCS 6/5/2012 11:59:13 AM
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2014 9:40 PM

I think this would be a great idea. The networking/ peer discussions are great. I really enjoy getting/sharing practical ideas with others. Not sure how to program it in. Maybe an evening event, or a high school coaches social type of thing. I did like the HS Roundtable  from the coaches conferences, but we really didn't get to much during that session.