Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
EOD and SEARCH Specifik training
Per S Cramer 3/4/2014 3:01:53 AM
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 1:19 PM

Hi, im a danish soldier/ coach, working with the EOD, and I was wondering if there is any infomation to be found about "sweeping" for IEDs. Some kind of analysis on sweeping and the physical kapacities involved?

Im doing a report on this, and any help would be appriciated.

MR Chris Sheffield, TSAC-F 10/12/2012 10:54:31 AM
Posted: Friday, June 6, 2014 7:04 PM

Cramer, 

First and foremost, stay safe and thanks for being out there.  Concerning your EOD Techs, I recommend starting with an assessment of functional movement and on how they move under load (i.e. bomb suit).  Then, take a look at their mechanics while they are handling an external load away from their bodies (i.e. carrying a suspicious package).  Next, what is their incidence of injury?  What is the mechanism of injury?  What resources do you have to rectify this?  So, before you get a system going consider whether or not it supports sustainable operational performance. 

My best guess is that you will see bad knees, hips and backs.  Probably brought on by poor body mechanics, load carriage and sitting for extended periods of time (such as inside an armored vehicle observing and controlling a robot for bomb handling).  To the best of my knowledge, the closest resource in your area of the world is Henk Kraaijenhof of Vortx in the Netherlands.  You can look him up online fairly easily.  He is receptive to helping others in the field; you can also find him on LinkedIn. 

Finally, I would measure physical performance relative to cognition.  An EOD tech generally works from memory and they are under a high level of stress.  You may want to develop some baseline measurements for mental toughness and cognition.  Then, test these abilities again during or following a work sample test.  Was there degradation in task performance?  If so, what was the mechanism of change?  Will the task performance improve with a strength and conditioning intervention?  Will the task performance improve from a mental skills/toughness training program?  Or, a combination of both?  I know this sounds like a dissertation waiting to happen, but it doesn’t have to be that hard. 

Good hunting and stay safe! 

Sincerely, 

Chris Sheffield, M.S., TSAC-F, USAW-1, USATF-1