Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Post-workout whole food protein sources
Christina
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 10:21 AM

Post-workout protein sources for athletes: Anyone have any advice or experience in choosing a whole food protein source (chicken breast/salmon) as opposed to a supplement based protein (such as whey protein)?

Posted on behalf of the NMBC Executive Council

Mike Sullivan 8/11/2012 4:01:35 PM
Posted: Sunday, October 7, 2012 12:31 AM

That would depend on the goals of the individual, personal preferences and availability of varied sources.

For my clients I would encourage what they prefer to start at least- then it will get in there and not be choked down as something is typically better than nothing.  I would encourage the source to be meat and to be from varied sources to get more variety (if needed).

As for fast acting protein sources outside of whey I would think eggs would be a good place to go as long as the client was not negatively affected by them.  

Also, depending on one's goals and workout "FITT", it might be good to consider different biases- 

for example: high intensity strength training, power lifting and olympic lifting might warrant a higher amount of red meat in diet due to higher levels of creatine in meat.

Small question but hugely variable answer, maybe why so many ppl look at the post and don't respond... where to start?

Hope this helps!

(note: I am not a dietician, scientist, doctor etc.  Just a guy who has taken a few courses, reads lots and likes to help ppl get in shape!)

David Barr CSCS,*D, CSPS, NSCA-CPT,*D, RSCC
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2012 12:09 PM

It's an interesting question.

My first thought is: how does the post-workout time period differ from any other time with regard to dietary protein?

It doesn't, which leaves the answer to the original question: whatever one would eat at any other time.

Great start up thread; could spin off in a number of different directions.