Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
How do you use primary prevention to motivate your clients?
Derek T. Grabert, CSCS,*D 6/4/2012 9:49:51 AM
Posted: Friday, September 28, 2012 1:24 PM

"Primary prevention," in the world of public health, is meant to target disease prevention before measurable risk factors are present. How can a personal trainer use primary prevention techniques to motivate their clients? How many times have you discussed fitness goals with a client and received the answer, "I just want to be healthy." Although this goal might sound mundane, it can be used as the driving force to invest in your clients' health. Continuing your education by investigating research studies on exercise and disease prevention will go a long way when your clients realize that you are truly looking out for their health priorities. Just because a client doesn't have a chronic disease like type-2 diabetes, hypertension, or high cholesterol doesn't mean it's not a cause for concern.

Keep the discussion going... What types of primary prevention strategies have you used to motivate your clients?

Dr. Nancy L. Skaer 6/5/2012 2:44:48 PM
Posted: Monday, October 8, 2012 9:42 PM

Hey Derek !

Great Question!!!!! I use a variety of motivational prevention strategies with my clients. To be more specific, I believe it is really important to know my clients well. For example, Personality types, personal background, family history, fitness and sports training and experience to name a few. It is important to determine if our clients motivation type is predominantly: Internal, External, or Amotivated. Knowing the type of motivation is crucial information. That will help us choose the best type of strategy to use. Obviously, it is easiest to motivate or work with the internally motivated individual. They usually do not need much if any motivation at all. They mostly need structure and support. They are already driven from within. Sometimes, overdriven. These are the individuals we need to closely monitor for overtraining. The tougher clients to motivate as you know are those who are either externally or amotivated. The externally motivated clients need constant pushing and the amotivated are usually the individuals who truly do not want to participate. They often engage in a fitness program because someone else wants them to. I use a variety of my clinical cognitive-behavioral techniques to get to the bottom of these issues as soon as possible when beginning working with an individual. I realize this information is very general regarding motivation, but hope this gives you some information or help. 

The other prevention or motivational strategy I feel very strongly about is education!!! I have learned a long time ago when working primarily in mental health, that even my most stubborn clients responded well to doing things when I educated them on the topic and "why" it was important to do what I was asking. 

Hope this information helps. 

Dr. Nancy