Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Department of Defense SC jobs
Dennis Garnham, CSCS, NSCA-CPT 6/4/2012 5:04:49 AM
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 1:28 PM

A few months before the NSCA changed their website and wiped out all the prior posts a member posted some info on DOD SC positions and locations.  I would appreciate it if someone can repost that.

I have registered my business so I can bid on DOD contracts.  I was awarded a contract many years ago and kept it for 3 years but then got deployed and the contract expired.  A similar but larger contract is now owned by a large business that has no fitness background.  There are many DOD fitness contracts and getting the award requires proof the business can perform the contract requirements satisfactorily.  In many cases a small fitness business can't compete with large businesses that target DOD contracts purely on the basis of they have a good shot at winning the contract and after getting the contract they hire fitness people for far less than the position should pay or sub contract to a few small fitness businesses.  The large businesses make huge profits for doing nothing but filling out the contract solicitation forms and sending them in, then hiring fitness professionals.

I will be talking with some army contracting officers next month who have responsibility for some fitness contracts to try to even the playing field for the smaller, more qualified fitness businesses to be competitive for future contracts.  If you have a fitness business and are interested in DOD contract opportunities or are interested in being a trainer, SC or fitness professional working for a DOD fitness contractor, feel free to contact me so I can keep you informed of any contract or job opportunities and let you know some of the future possibilities.  

At present we don't have much ability to compete for DOD fitness contracts unless you are in the fitness business making multi-millions a year.  These contracts are not in locations you are probably living at so moving and some travel will be required.

It would be nice if the NSCA would also help out with this problem.  An experienced SC probably would not consider a new job if they had to move and only got 36K a year but they might for 60K or more a year.  

healthy regards,

Dennis