Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Program Design Software
Robin A. Mungall, NSCA-CPT 6/12/2012 4:18:14 PM
Posted: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:50 PM

Hey fellow awesome trainers! 

I am very curious as to how you all present your programs to clients these days. Are you using software? If so what kinds? Have you explored the different tools out there?

Years ago I used ptonthenet and it actually took me longer to design programs and so I stopped using it. Since then it has been fairly easy to create word documents with pics and explanations myself but was hoping to find some software that does a good job without taking up more time. 

I just signed up for theptadvantage.com and so far it's ok, i'm wondering what everyone else does maybe we could discuss some of the pros/cons?

Here are some other software tools i've wondered about - if anyone has used them I'd love to get an unbiased review?

www.fitgoal.com

www.pumpone.com

www.bodysite.com

www.workoutengine.com (is this even ethical? maybe up for a different discussion)

www.trainerforce.com

www.fitnessgenerator.com (tried years ago and didn't like all that much)

www.bioexsystems.com (tried and disliked)

Anyways would love to hear from my fellow trainers. 

George Pagan, III, CSCS 6/5/2012 3:38:08 PM
Posted: Tuesday, January 1, 2013 1:13 PM

While these may seem really beneficial for you being that they are online and all digital. However they are not really going to save you time in programming. 

I really suggest using http://www.exceltrainingdesigns.com/ 

they can be customized to your needs, periodized and just makes it easy to use in online storage and offline. 

All the math or excel formula knowledge really needed. They will train you how to use it also. prob the biggest help for me as a trainer so far. 

George

Ryan J. Kerola, CSCS 10/31/2012 5:58:23 PM
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2013 1:37 PM

My company recently released a new product called Progressive Fitness Software. It is a free application that runs through Excel 2007 or newer (requires Excel 2007 or newer and a Windows Operating System).

It will take about 30 minutes to learn how to use the application. Once you've built a main exercise list you can build workouts in a professional format in as little as 1-2 minutes per workout. You can design workouts 1 session at a time on the "ITS Screen" or up to 60 sessions at a time on the "Progression Design Screen." I usually design about 12 workouts at a time depending on how much experience I have with the exerciser. It probably takes a few weeks practice with the application to get proficient enough with features to design in 1 minute/session. Obviously more complex training progressions may require more time.

Workouts can be emailed or printed in seconds. There have also been a few feature updates since the video tutorials were made (such as the ability to email workouts as PDFs with hyperlinks to webpages/videos for exercises). As a side note, there are no preprogrammed exercises with this software. You can find many free exercise videos and lists on the internet that you can easily link up to the application if you need them for yourself or for a client.

You can find Progressive Fitness Software at www.freefitnessapp.com

Also, feedback is always appreciated to help make the application more user friendly and more versatile to meet every training style. Feedback can be sent to support@FreeFitnessApp.com

-Ryan, Owner

Progressive Resistance Training LLC