Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
Glucose consumption post exercise more beneficial than focusing on HGH levles?
Theodore Andrew Sloan 8/24/2012 5:34:45 PM
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2013 4:48 PM

I read a quote in an article recently by Strength and Conditioning Coach Robert Handerahan that natural levels of HGH decline after the consumption of glucose and therefore it is important not to consume glucose after workouts. Everything I have read points to the necessity to consume glucose post-workout. Is anyone aware of any studies that have concluded that not consuming glucose post-workout is more beneficial to building muscle than actually doing so, or rather an optimum level of consumption?

Thank you.

William (Bill) I. Campbell, MS, PhD, CSCS 6/27/201
Posted: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:45 PM

The research that I am aware of indicates that consuming 1 gram of carbohydrate/kg body mass immediately after and then again one hour following resistance exercise significantly suppresses skeletal muscle protein breakdown.  Also, when 40 grams of carbohydrate plus 6 grams of essential amino acids were ingested after workouts (2x per week) for 12 weeks, it resulted in significant increases in fat free mass (greater than carbohydrate alone or amino acids alone).  The quick reference for this study is Bird et al. European Journal of Applied Physiology 97:225-238, 2006.  

If the goal is to increase skeletal muscle mass, then I would advocate ingesting carbohydrates (glucose) post-workout, along with protein.  If the goal was to lose fat mass, then MAYBE there would be a benefit to keep endogenous growth hormone levels elevated, but this is speculative as I am not aware of any studies that have investigated this.

David Barr, CSCS,CSPS,NSCACPT 6/4/2012 9:15:01 AM
Posted: Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:00 PM

William (Bill) I. Campbell, MS, PhD, CSCS 6/27/201 wrote:

If the goal is to increase skeletal muscle mass, then I would advocate ingesting carbohydrates (glucose) post-workout, along with protein.  If the goal was to lose fat mass, then MAYBE there would be a benefit to keep endogenous growth hormone levels elevated, but this is speculative as I am not aware of any studies that have investigated this.

Great reply Dr. Campbell; I have yet to see any benefit from manipulating endogenous GH in healthy people.