Forum

Welcome to the National Strength and Conditioning Association's Forums. Connect with members, join special interest groups, or discuss association topics and special events. If you are an Associate or Professional Member, read and post comments. To join in on a discussion, choose a forum and click on one of the topics. Members may also start a new topic using the “new topic” button. Also, be sure to “subscribe” to your forums so you can receive email updates on existing and new discussions.

If you are not signed in, please sign in to post comments.

RSS Feed Print Category View
High School Physical Education Assessment
Patrick McHenry, MA,CSCSD 6/5/2012 11:05:38 AM
Posted: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4:47 PM

I am looking to see how other schools assess their students in Physical Education (specifically the weight room).

I use the performance test (10 yd, pro agility, vertical, this year I have included the long jump and seated med ball throw) and a weekly written test.  I have two homework assignments that the students download and turn in to me then the test on Friday takes 5 - 10 minutes.  

My school district is looking for different ways to assess students. Specifically they are looking at more writing then performance. I am trying to show the district different ways to assess students in Phys Ed so they do not have to just write.

Any suggestions, or ideas you use would be helpful.

Thanks

Patrick McHenry 

Anonymous
Posted: Friday, April 26, 2013 7:14 PM

Hi Patrick,

I do a pre- and post- test with maxes in the weight room. I have been teaching what we call "Accelerated PE" for over ten years. It is open to all athletes and to those intending on joining the military. 

They max in the beginning of the term, either a single rep or multi-rep max, and then they max again at the end of the term and must show improvement.

The three maxes are the following:

1. Barbell or dumbbell bench press

2. Box back squat or front squat or parallel squat or dumbbell/barbell split squat or dumbbell/barbell Bulgarian split squat

3. Barbell/dumbbell incline bench press or Jammer press

Rachel M. Palmer, CSCS 8/21/2012 11:34:59 AM
Posted: Wednesday, July 31, 2013 11:58 AM

I have my "Advanced Weight Training" students research a topic or a person in strength training and present a power-point to the class.  These are topics that I can expand on if needed.  The kids have come up with some interesting things.

They also had to write a paper on how they have improved during the semester.

We took body measurements, rep max's, and did a functional movement screen pre and post.

Dwayne L. Wilson 6/13/2012 8:35:30 AM
Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 2013 8:58 AM

Hi Patrick,

I am assuming this is in response to common core.  

One of the things I am doing is working with our English dept. to develop a list of questions that guides the students through articles in the PTJ.  I have the articles in binders grouped by sport or topic and they have a choice of which articles to read.  It is working great for the students that have gotten injured and can't participate.

The biggest benefit I have seen from it is they are starting to understand why we are doing what we do and have a better understanding of what we are trying to accomplish in each workout.

Dwayne Wilson

Oswego HIgh School

Oswego, Illinois