RSS Feed Print Category View
Welcome
Christina
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:11 PM

Welcome to the College Strength and Conditioning Coaches (CSCC) SIG forum. The purpose of the CSCC is to monitor the status of the collegiate strength and conditioning profession, to represent the collective voice of its members, and to create and disseminate information related to enhancing the profession and the careers of collegiate strength and conditioning professionals. Please share research, ideas, training techniques, and ask questions. The CSCC forum is moderated by the CSCC SIG Executive Council. 

Christopher A. Raymond, CSCS 6/6/2012 2:14:06 PM
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2012 8:15 AM

I have been trying to become a college strength and conditioning coach for 2 years now since I graduate with my exercise science degree from University of Rhode Island. I feel like I need to get my masters in order to achieve this. Is there any other way?
Nicholas A. Paicos 6/8/2012 10:00:50 AM
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2012 10:34 AM

Hello.

My name is Nicholas Paicos. I studied exercise science at Ithaca College and just recently earned my CSCS certification. I am writing to seek advice on how I break into the field of strength and conditioning. I would very much like to be a collegiate strength and conditioning coach. Any ideas or advice anyone can offer would be much appretiated. Thank you.

Nicholas A. Paicos 6/8/2012 10:00:50 AM
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2012 9:59 AM

Hello everyone,

I am also planning on graduate school in the near future and am wondering what the best program options are. I was thinking of strength and conditioning or exercise physiology. Does anyone have any advice in this regard. Thank you.

-Nick Paicos-

Christopher J. Powell, CSCS,*D 6/4/2012 2:26:09 PM
Posted: Monday, August 6, 2012 2:05 PM

To break into the field of collegiate strength & conditioning, I would recommend getting your MS.

I would try to apply for a GA position as a strength & conditioning coach at a college. You get wtrm experience and tuition covered. Plus it will teach you how to network within the industry.

Chris Powell MS CSCS*D

cjp78@hotmail.com

Tobias Jacobi, CSCS 6/5/2012 8:43:26 PM
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2012 3:22 PM

This is a hard profession, my advice is if you have not already is to volunteer and try and get your foot in the door that way.  With the NCAA limitation on strength coaches allowed to work with football teams it should open the door for lower level programs to get people who want to work.  GA jobs are hard to get and alot of the times goes to former interns or volunteers.
Jerry Kelsey 6/19/2012 5:47:47 PM
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:00 PM

I recently took the CSCS and am currently working on my masters degree to become a college strength and conditioning coach. I've had a knack for the subject since I got out of high school, but through my internship (as an assistant) I came to realize that this field is becoming much more competitive as time goes on. If you've got your CSCS certification you are on the right track, but without your masters degree it will still be somewhat difficult to find a job. I'd recommend getting as much experience through internships as possible, getting a masters degree, and CSCS certification. From that point you'd be set to find a job and I'd just put in as many job apps as possible (be willing to relocate). Even if it's just an assistant strength and conditioning coaching position at least you'd get a foot in the door and get paid a little bit until you could advance to a head strength coach. Experience is as important as education.