RSS Feed Print Category View
Welcome
Christina
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:14 PM

Welcome to the Nutrition, Metabolism, and Body Composition (NMBC) SIG forum. The purpose of the NMBC SIG is to:

Help fellow NSCA members apply research based information within the fields of nutrition, metabolism and body composition as it relates to improving athletic performance and fitness.

As a constructive member of the NSCA SIG community, NMBC will aid fellow NSCA members in their efforts to provide well-informed advice to their clients.

NMBC will also work to help fellow NSCA members identify educational and certification opportunities that will allow them to further their scope of practice in these very popular areas that are rapidly approaching reimburse-ability.

While NMBC has no desire to monitor fellow NSCA Member qualifications for scope of practice, NMBC will help fellow NSCA members recognizing the state-by-state liabilities associated with Medical Nutritional Therapy Licensure that legally limits scope of practice with diseased populations.

Please share research, ideas, training techniques, and ask questions. The NMBC forum is moderated by the NMBC SIG Executive Council. 

Mr Justin Mongrain 6/11/2012 8:49:07 PM
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2012 9:33 PM

Carbohydrate cycling seems like it is becoming a hot topic.  Is it safe and if so what are the benefits?
Donald F. Smith, Jr, MA, ATC, CSCS,*D 6/4/2012 3:3
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:56 PM

Some years ago it seemed hot.  Carbo loading e.g. I wouldn't reccommend letting carbs go so low you lose cognition.
William (Bill) I. Campbell, MS, PhD, CSCS 6/27/201
Posted: Monday, July 2, 2012 7:36 AM

I am not aware of any safety issues with carbohydrate cycling.  The potential benefit of carbohydrate cycling is for endurance athletes.  By ingesting lower carbohydrate intakes during portions of their endurance training, training adaptations may be improved (adaptations such as increasing maximal activities of aerobic enzymes and the promotion of increased mitochondrial density).

To the best of my knowledge, there is very little research on this topic as it relates to improvements in muscular strength and/or power. 

Derek T. Grabert, CSCS,*D 6/4/2012 9:49:51 AM
Posted: Monday, July 9, 2012 11:03 AM

I agree. Cycling carbohydrates does not have much scientific evidence. Consider your energy demands when looking at the carbohydrates in your diet. For example, after an intense workout, carbohydrates are used to restore glycogen. On the other hand, a pattern of low activity will lead to more carbohydrates being stored as fat.
Patrick C. Koch, CSCS 6/16/2012 9:31:12 PM
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 12:13 PM

Greetings everyone.  Happy the new websites working smoothly.  Did anyone get a chance to see Dr. Voleks talk about very low carbohydrate diets at the national conference?  It goes along with carbohydrate cycling in a way.  He was basically just saying that training your body to oxidize fat prevents you from hitting the wall.  Very good talk, I could see its benefits for endurance events?  But is it practical for "burst" sports.  What does everyone think?  PS will members be able to amke threads on this forum or is it guided discussion?