RSS Feed Print Category View
Important factors for Exercise and Sport Psychology Consultant selection
Daniel B. Hollander, EdD, CSCS,*D 10/3/2012 4:11:0
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 11:41 AM

From some interesting research, we find college student athletes preference to be for female consultants, who have great interpersonal skills, are professionally credentialed, are physically fit, and have some knowledge about the sport they are discussing.  

Maintenance of confidentiality and trustworthiness were also noted as important attributes of consultant selection.   

Looking lean and fit seem to play a part in acceptance of these individuals as well.  Obviously, not all consultants will "look the part", but it can be a reality when evaluating use of service. 

I have reattached the scanned articles Dr. Lubker graciously attached from another listserve.   

Dr. Nancy L. Graber, PhD 6/5/2012 2:44:48 PM
Posted: Tuesday, June 4, 2013 8:20 PM

Gender preferences in sports is a very interesting topic. Also can be quite controversial.

Thanks Dr. H for posting this topic. It is not all that easy to understand. As a female Sport Psychology Consultant, I find it both better and worse being a female working in this field.

The research you mentioned about college athletes preferring female consultants is no surprise. 

I have found that most men, even at the pro level prefer a female, at least most of the time. When I ask them about this, they have disclosed that as a female they feel more comfortable discussing problems since they know women in general are more understanding and nurturing, as well as good listeners. Also, they don't have to worry about not appearing "Macho". I have had built a good rapport with many men in the sports world. However, on the other side of the coin, I have also faced obstacles and opposition being a female as well. I am not bothered by that. I understand the male mind and behavior pretty well. I know that it comes with the territory. I feel quite comfortable working with men as my clients. I am also a football coach and have seen it all. 

I wonder if anyone who might read this post has a comment or question. I would enjoy hearing it. 

Dr. Nance cool