RSS Feed Print Category View
Off season conditioning
Philip A. Green, CSCS 6/14/2012 2:55:35 PM
Posted: Friday, September 6, 2013 2:04 PM

I figure that the best offseason training for rugby and futbol athletes are shuttle runs, slide board work, high volumes of body weight routines and carefully prescribed resistance training. I am proponent of increased passive flexibility in the off-season and feel that in my workplace - a NCAA D3 school, it is cardiovascular fitness that coaches care about most. But, I want good technical acceleration abilities, especially as it applies to deceleration and COD. Any thoughts on what else it might be doing.
Scott Sinclair, CSCS 6/7/2012 3:36:37 PM
Posted: Monday, September 9, 2013 3:01 PM

I have been doing resistance sprints and a progressive plyometric program to increase acceleration and explosiveness in my athletes. Sled pulls, sled pushes working those hip flexors, quads and posterior chain muscle groups to function. The off season is where I have my athletes work through basic strength and progress through each microcycle to explosive exercises. The cardio side I start off with a base fitness of aerobic and work towards the preseason with more game like sprints and intensity. 

It's different for every team but I would love to chat or share ideas.