RSS Feed Print Category View
A Surprising Obstacle To Individualized Training Programs
Karsten Jensen 11/21/2012 5:49:04 PM
Posted: Tuesday, December 3, 2013 11:22 AM

In last week’s blog post, I wrote about the importance of helping the athlete/client to identify their “WHY” as well as creating the strongest WHY possible.

With The Flexible Periodization Method in the initial conversation/consultation, you have already gathered information about the athlete/client through pre-assessment forms.

These forms are the “test before the test.”

Is the athlete/client serious enough about their goal that they are willing to invest 1-2 hours in giving me the information I need to create the RIGHT program with the RIGHT goals? 

Is the athlete/client comfortable with paperwork? 

Most athletes/clients send the forms back right away, but I have also experienced

• Only half of the forms returned.
  • Some saying “Can’t you just give me a program?”
  • “I don’t want to pay to fill out paperwork.”

If I experience problems with getting the forms back I typically explain that

• “the information in the forms is what I need to create an individualized training program for you.”
  • “filling out the forms is a good chance for you to review, for yourself, where you are at right now.”

In some cases this extra explanation seems to make the athlete/client embrace the importance of the pre-assessment. In other cases this extra explanation has no effect.

Should we move forward with training an athlete, who has not given us the pre-assessment forms that we have asked for?

What’s your opinion/experience? Leave a comment!

Thank You for reading to the end of this blog post!
Karsten Jensen, MSc., Strength Coach 

PS:  Stay updated on The Flexible Periodization Method, by becoming a subscriber of our FREE No Gimmicks EZine  or Sign up to automatically receive notifications about new blog posts.

PPS: What does a food fight at a boarding school have to do with individualized training programs? Read next week’s blog to find out. (Excerpted from our new and unpublished manual How To Avoid A GREAT Program with the WRONG Goals: How To Set S.M.A.R.T.R Goals  -  Master Step 1 of The Flexible Periodization Method.) 

Email: karsten@yestostrength.com
Ph: 647-869-YESS (9377)
Mississuagua, ON, Canada