RSS Feed Print Category View
How do you "Bridge the Gap"
Jahnene Thomas 8/16/2012 5:31:50 PM
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:34 PM

Post your replies!
Nathaniel D. Mosher, DPT, CSCS, NSCA-CPT 6/5/2012
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2012 3:10 PM

I think for me, working as a physical therapist, the key is to review the research that the NSCA produces and see which patient population that might fit best. 

I think it's great that the NSCA is starting the CSPS, since almost every patient that I treat clinically has at least one co-morbid condition, and many have multiple co-morbidities.  It's important for me to remember that all interventions that I offer to my patients will have a systemic effect.  I'm starting my CSPS preparation this fall. 

Douglas Berninger, CSCS,*D 9/10/2012 1:36:15 PM
Posted: Tuesday, October 2, 2012 5:15 PM

I feel that, while reviewing the research, it is important to keep several things in mind. Namely, how was the research performed? What protocol was used? What was the training experience, age, sport positions, etc. of the subjects? Everything pertains to how you will perceive the results and utilize them within the real-world training programs.

For example, if I'm training college-aged baseball players and the research I'm reading was a training protocol to enhance the performance of high school soccer players , I will most likely not use that protocol. The research must lie along the same lines as the real-world training. They must be specific to each other. Baseball and soccer have different physical demand profiles and must be treated differently in training.

Remember to be specific with the population you are training; their chronological age, training age, gender, sport, and sport position all matter in how they should train and, ultimately, how they adapt to the imposed demands placed on them.