RSS Feed Print Category View
Department of Defense SC jobs
Dennis Garnham, CSCS, NSCA-CPT 6/4/2012 5:04:49 AM
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2012 1:27 PM

A few months before the NSCA changed their website and wiped out all the prior posts a member posted some info on DOD SC positions and locations.  I would appreciate it if someone can repost that.

I have registered my business so I can bid on DOD contracts.  I was awarded a contract many years ago and kept it for 3 years but then got deployed and the contract expired.  A similar but larger contract is now owned by a large business that has no fitness background.  There are many DOD fitness contracts and getting the award requires proof the business can perform the contract requirements satisfactorily.  In many cases a small fitness business can't compete with large businesses that target DOD contracts purely on the basis of they have a good shot at winning the contract and after getting the contract they hire fitness people for far less than the position should pay or sub contract to a few small fitness businesses.  The large businesses make huge profits for doing nothing but filling out the contract solicitation forms and sending them in, then hiring fitness professionals.

I will be talking with some army contracting officers next month who have responsibility for some fitness contracts to try to even the playing field for the smaller, more qualified fitness businesses to be competitive for future contracts.  If you have a fitness business and are interested in DOD contract opportunities or are interested in being a trainer, SC or fitness professional working for a DOD fitness contractor, feel free to contact me so I can keep you informed of any contract or job opportunities and let you know some of the future possibilities.  

At present we don't have much ability to compete for DOD fitness contracts unless you are in the fitness business making multi-millions a year.  These contracts are not in locations you are probably living at so moving and some travel will be required.

It would be nice if the NSCA would also help out with this problem.  An experienced SC probably would not consider a new job if they had to move and only got 36K a year but they might for 60K or more a year.  

healthy regards,

Dennis

William Bradley 6/4/2012 10:31:50 AM
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2012 12:05 PM

Hi Dennis,

I couldn't find any info on links to  DoD contracts. I did find www.USAJOBS.gov that might help in your search. You may have to contact DoD directly. 

Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2012 2:21 PM

William,

Thanks for the reply.

I am not looking for a Govt. job.  To my knowledge the Govt. wants to contract Strength Coaches and trainers.  I am trying to get a Govt. contract.  Once I get a contract, I can hire trainers to perform the requirements.  I understand the contracting process.  The contracting world is not interested in hiring fitness related small businesses to perform fitness related contracts.  It is a typical Govt. way of doing business.   

Michael Bugielski, MS, CSCS 6/3/2012 7:40:18 PM
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2012 6:01 PM

Dennis;

I am very interested in DOD contracts, especially since my father used to do work with them.  Please keep me posted if you hear of anything.

Michael S. Bugielski MS, USAW, CSCS, RSCC*D

Mr James Frederick Carroll II 7/26/2012 3:12:23 PM
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2013 2:23 AM

I remember seeing a post on the job search page looking for CSCS to run the new Master Fitness program a while back. My internet is to slow over here in Afghanistan to check but it should have been around last Feb.

Jim

Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2013 8:00 AM

The Master Fitness Trainers positions were filled the end of March.

Due to budget cuts, I suspect there will be fewer DOD, contractor CSCS positions in the future.

Mr James Frederick Carroll II 7/26/2012 3:12:23 PM
Posted: Saturday, November 9, 2013 5:14 PM

I agree, this is a sad thing too, as a 20 year Army vet I have seen many transformations in our fitness program. I was happy to see that not only were they bringing back the master fitness program but staffing it with actual experts in the field instead of the old system of selecting those really good at physical fitness, giving them a few classes and having them teach others. Only time will tell though since it has finally been recognized that military, police, and emergency personnel are athletes in their own rights.