RSS Feed Print Category View
Qualitative Movement Analysis
Donald A. Reagan, CSCS 6/5/2012 11:00:17 PM
Posted: Friday, November 23, 2012 11:17 PM

I would like to get the memberships opinion on the pragmatic value of movement assessment in the clinical setting and or movement screening in the gym.  Specifically, do you perform a standard movement analysis?  What do you look for? and Why or why not?   

I regularly use SFMA/FMS and it makes a great deal of sense to me.  However, I have recently seen some rhetoric online suggesting that movement screening is outside of the scope of practice for the fitness professional.  I disagree with this objection but I realize that the marketing has been grossly sensationalized.  

Here is a research review by Dr. Rob Butler on the FMS:

http://www.functionalmovement.com/articles/research/2012-09-05_fms_summary_of_literature_reviews

Jensen Brent, CSCS, NSCA-CPT 6/8/2012 6:00:26 AM
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:49 PM

Don,

Thanks for bringing up this topic. I think it is something that we (fitness/sports med professionals) should always be thinking about and refining. I use a version of the FMS that I've modified based on the things that I liked and didn't from the popular version. I've never personally been to one of the FMS certification courses but rather learned it from those who had along with reading/researching it online. I think that it provides a great system for assessment for many and, at the very least, a good outline for screening athletes. I really appreciate the quantifiable nature of the system as well as the systematic approach to fixing the deficits.

I think that the main problem people have with it is when they try to use it too rigidly and without context. Like no two athletes are exactly the same, no two assessments have to be the same. Many of the athletes I work with play sports with fairly similar demands (biomechanically/energy systems) that place value on a wide spectrum of physical abilities but occasionally there are exceptions. Overhead athletes, swimmers, track & field athletes, strength athletes, equestrians, fencers, etc have much more discreet physical needs and, as such require more/different assessments.

I feel that using the FMS is an excellent choice for most professionals in S&C but should not be applied without careful, well thought out strategies. This basically echoes my feelings on many principles within our field that people would rather have a solid "yes" or "no" stance on. A paradigmatic shift is more in order than a wholly new movement screening program.

My bottom line is:

-First, understand the FMS

-Second, learn how to apply and modify for specific pops

-Third, constantly reelvaluate it to make sure it is fitting your needs

*Caveat - I've not attended any FMS seminars and may not be using it as the inventors intended, but it works for me.

Best Regards,

Jensen