RSS Feed Print Category View
What are the big questions in ice hockey conditioning?
Sean M. Collins, PhD 8/17/2013 4:50:05 PM
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:41 PM

Some background: I am an associate professor and run a lab at UMass Lowell. I have recently started doing research on ice hockey conditioning as a mid career change and and am wondering if anyone else has a research program focused on ice hockey conditioning. I am building the research program around ice hockey, not around some aspect of conditioning or physiology with a tangential interest in ice hockey. The central component will be ice hockey and as such the work can take on several inter related questions across approaches (physiology, mechanics, motor control & learning, stress, adaptation, overtraining, psychophysics, social approaches like team coordination / dynamics) and hierarchical scales (individual player physiology, fitness at the individual, line, and squad levels, etc). 

My question: Does anyone know whether someone has put together a compendium of the big open questions that are facing ice hockey strength and conditioning? If not, do you think such a compendium would be useful? 

I am familiar with the literature that is out there. Do the questions raised by these studies represent the concerns / questions of ice hockey conditioning coaches? If so - please point me in the direction of those you find most helpful. If not, please feel free to post questions that you wish you had an answer to. 

If you prefer - feel free to email me directly (Sean_Collins@uml.edu)

-Sean

Mr Alex Harman, PT 2/24/2014 1:18:41 PM
Posted: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 2:42 PM

Hello Sean,

I have not heard of a compendium for Ice hockey conditioning. I don't believe one would be very useful in terms of research. What kind of research on Ice hockey conditioning are you looking to do? I played AAA ice hockey for a few years and played professional inline hockey. I played for Team VA, Team USA and was selected for the Jr. World USA team.

-Alex H.
Sean M. Collins, PhD 8/17/2013 4:50:05 PM
Posted: Saturday, March 29, 2014 7:17 PM

Hi Alex,

I am currently doing work on the relationship between aerobic capacity and recovery from repeated bouts of anaerobic work. We have shown there is a relationship using VO2 max and bouts of all out work that last about a minute with 3 minutes of rest in between (to mimic on ice shifts and off ice rest breaks) and will be putting a paper out soon about these findings. There are several directions this work could go.

-Sean