RSS Feed Print Category View
Coaches Conference 2014 Follow-Up
Mr Ryan Joseph Faer 10/9/2012 10:02:12 AM
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 10:42 AM

Hey everyone,

For the sake of trying to keep the forums here on the site, I wanted follow-up on the Coaches Conference. It was great meeting everyone and hearing all of your opinions on the state of high school strength & conditioning. I was also excited to see the increased number of high school coaching presentations at this conference compared to last year. I think that the more awareness that we can create about high school S&C, the more credence it will get. Obviously Indiana is an exceptional location to be an HS S&C coach - unlike many other regions (like central Florida, where I am).

If anyone would like to share ideas or just keep in contact, I'll post some contact info below. I did not do as great of a job as I would have liked when it comes to getting all of your contact info.

Email: ryanfaer@live.com

Twitter: @Ryan_Faer

Again it was great meeting you all, and look forward to next year's conference.

Best regards,

Ryan Faer

Kyle D. Will, CSCS 12/6/2012 7:28:20 PM
Posted: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:39 PM

Ryan, thank you for posting.  I too want to try and help keep these forums going, so here is my response.  I too thoroughly enjoyed the 2014 Coaches Conference.  It was the first I had been to, having previously chosen to go to the National Conference.  I will make this one an annual must do as it was fantastic.  I too loved the number of High School presentations and agree Indiana is an anomaly.  Here in Oregon, we have no full time strength coaches at any school that I am aware of.  That needs to change!  I will gladly be a voice here in the NW.

On a separate note, I am speaking at the All Sports Conference in Seattle on February 7th and 8th if any of you are in the NW and are planning on attending I would love to touch base with you again and make a more personal connection.  My contact info is below:

Kyle Will, CSCS, RSCC

willpower05@msn.com
541-350-3938
@coachwill2014

Scott Douglas 6/11/2012 2:04:53 PM
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2014 4:31 PM

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback and engagement with the forums since Coaches Conference. I am the marketing director at the NSCA and sat in on your SIG meeting at Coaches. Some of you were wondering if the system notifies individuals when new posts are added. There is a notification feature built into the forums, but participants are only notified when there's a new response to a thread they've posted to. Just signing up to a forum doesn't activate the emails; this is to prevent users from getting overwhelmed with separate posts on topics they may not be interested in. 

So, if you want to get engaged the best way to get started is to start a thread or post to an existing one. Thanks again for your feedback and for your involvement with the NSCA!

Scott Douglas

scott.douglas@nsca.com

Mr Ryan Joseph Faer 10/9/2012 10:02:12 AM
Posted: Friday, January 17, 2014 7:39 PM

Scott,

Thank you for being in the HS SIG meeting and keeping us posted on everything that goes on behind the scenes. I did stumble upon the email alerts and so far I have been getting them whenever there are replies or new topics - which is great! 

I was curious, though, if there was any chance of an NSCA High School SIG Twitter Account, which could help unite the HS Strength Coaches in a more interactive way. Though not everyone uses Twitter, I believe that those who do feel just as strongly as I do that it has a lot to offer to us in terms of networking, and could also be used to promote the forums. If ever one of us wants to share an article or study from the NSCA publications (or any other platform), or just ask questions for quicker answers, we could simply post a tweet and tag @NSCAHighSchool (hypothetical name), which could then retweet it to all of its followers (presumably it will be mostly HS Strength Coaches). Also, the twitter account could post a tweet every time a new topic is posted in the forums so that people can see it on their feed (example: "Check out the newest post on the NSCA HS SIG forum: 'Buzz Sessions - Kevin Vanderbush' " and also add the link to the post). This will not only create awareness for the NSCA forums and create more traffic, potentially, but also create more awareness for high school strength and conditioning as a whole (which we all want to do). 

I know that this would require effort and money from the NSCA, so if this is not a possibility, I can understand. But, I would love to spearhead a social media avenue for us coaches for greater networking and idea sharing.

Just some ideas! Thanks again.