by Elizabeth Hope, Meagan Wilson, and Brian Gearity, PhD, ATC, CSCS,*D, FNSCA
NSCA Coach January 2021
Vol 7, Issue 3
This article originally appeared in NSCA Coach, a quarterly publication for NSCA Members that provides valuable takeaways for every level of strength and conditioning coach. You can find scientifically based articles specific to a wide variety of your athletes’ needs with Nutrition, Programming, and Youth columns. Read more articles from NSCA Coach »
1. Aherne, C, Moran, AP, and Lonsdale, C. The effect of mindfulness training on athletes’ flow: An initial investigation. The Sport Psychologist 25(2): 177-189, 2011.
2. Bai, H., Park, S, and Cohen, A. Classroom as dojo: Contemplative teaching and learning as martial art. The Journal of Contemplative Inquiry 3(1): 113-131, 2016.
3. Baltzell, A, and Akhtar, VL. Mindfulness meditation training for sport (MMTS) intervention: Impact of MMTS with Division I female athletes. The Journal of Happiness and Well- Being 2(2): 160-173, 2014.
4. Baltzell, A, and Summers, J. Introducing Mindful Meditation Training for Sport (MMTS) 2.0. In the Power of Mindfulness. Switzerland AG: Springer, Cham; 2017.
5. Bernier, M, Thienot, E, Codron, R, and Fournier, JF. Mindfulness and acceptance approaches in sport performance. Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology 3(4): 320-333, 2009.
6. Brusie, C. Just Me and the Iron: Using Weightlifting as Meditation. The Chicago Tribune, February 2017. Retrieved May, 2020 from http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/ health/ctweightlifting- as-meditation-20170207-story.html.
7. Caldwell, C. Mindfulness and Bodyfulness: A New Paradigm. The Journal of Contemplative Inquiry 1:69-88, 2014.
8. De Petrillo, LA, Kaufman, KA, Glass, CR, and Arnkoff, DB. Mindfulness for long-distance runners: An open trial using mindful sport performance enhancement (MSPE). Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology 3(4): 357-376, 2009.
9. Gardner, FL, and Moore, ZE. A mindfulness-acceptance-commitment- based approach to athletic performance enhancement: Theoretical considerations. Behavior Therapy 35(4): 707-723, 2004.
10. Gardner, FL, and Moore, ZE. The Psychology of Enhancing Human Performance: The Mindfulness-Acceptance- Commitment (MAC) Approach. New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company, 2007.
11. Gardner, FL, and Moore, ZE. Mindfulness and acceptance models in sport psychology: A decade of basic and applied scientific advancements. Canadian Psychology/Psychologie Canadienne 53(4): 309, 2012.
12. Humphrey, JR. Dancing/integration: Observations of a teaching artist. The Journal of Contemplative Inquiry 2(1): 101-123, 2015.
13. Kabat-Zinn, J. Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life. New York, NY: 1st Hyperion, 1994.
14. Kabat-Zinn, J. Coming to Our Senses: Healing Ourselves and the World Through Mindfulness. UK: Hachette, 2005.
15. Marchant, DC, Clough, PJ, and Crawshaw, M. The effects of attentional focusing strategies on novice dart throwing performance and their task experiences. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology 5(3): 291-303, 2007.
16. Marchant, DC, Greig, M, Bullough, J, and Hitchen, D. Instructions to adopt an external focus enhance muscular endurance. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport 82(3): 466-473, 2011.
17. Marković, G, and Sekulić, D. Modeling the influence of body size on weightlifting and powerlifting performance. Collegium Antropologicum 30(3): 607-613, 2006.
18. McGuigan, MR, Wright, GA, and Fleck, SJ. Strength training for athletes: Does it really help sports performance? International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance 7(1):2-5, 2012.
19. Neumann, DL. A systematic review of attentional focus strategies in weightlifting. Frontiers in Sports and Active Living 1(7), 2019.
20. Schoenfeld, BJ, and Contreras, B. Attentional focus for maximizing muscle development: The mind-muscle connection. Strength and Conditioning Journal 38(1): 27-29, 2016.
21. Siegel, DJ. Mindful awareness, mindsight, and neural integration. The Humanistic Psychologist 37(2): 137, 2009.
22. Siegel, DJ. Mindsight: The New Science of Personal Transformation. New York, NY: Bantam, 2010.
23. Thompson, RW, Kaufman, KA, De Petrillo, LA, Glass, CR, and Arnkoff, DB. One year follow-up of mindful sport performance enhancement (MSPE) with archers, golfers, and runners. Journal of Clinical Sport Psychology 5(2): 99-116, 2011.
24. UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center - MARC, Guided Meditations. Retrieved May, 2020 from https://www.uclahealth. org/marc/mindful-meditations.
25. Vernon, L. Mind and muscle: Considering weightlifting as a contemplative practice. The Journal of Contemplative Inquiry 5(1), 2018.
26. Wulf, G, and Lewthwaite, R. Optimizing performance through intrinsic motivation and attention for learning: The OPTIMAL theory of motor learning. Psychonomic Bulletin and Review 23(5): 1382-1414, 2016.