by Pratik Patel, CSCS
NSCA Coach October 2019
Vol 6, Issue 2
This article originally appeared in NSCA Coach, a quarterly publication for NSCA Members that provides valuable takeaways for every level of strength and conditioning coach. You can find scientifically based articles specific to a wide variety of your athletes’ needs with Nutrition, Programming, and Youth columns. Read more articles from NSCA Coach »
1. Beaven, CM, Maulder, P, Pooley, A, Kilduff, L, and Cook, C. Effects of caffeine and carbohydrate mouth rinses on repeated sprint performance. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 38: 633-637, 2013.
2. Bell, DG, and McLellan, TM. Exercise endurance 1, 2 and 6 h after caffeine ingestion in caffeine users and nonusers. Journal of Applied Physiology 93: 1227-1234, 2002.
3. Bloms, LP, Fitzgerland, JS, Short, MW, and Whitehead, JR. The Effects of Caffeine on Vertical Jump Height and Execution in Collegiate Athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 30(7): 1855-1861, 2015.
4. Caldwell, AR, Tucker, MA, Butts, CL, McDermott, BP, Vingren, JL, Kunces, LJ, et al. Effect of caffeine on perceived soreness and functionality following an endurance cycling event. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 31(3): 638-643, 2016.
5. Cook, CJ, Crewther, BT, Kilduff, LP, Drawer, S, and Gaviglio, CM. Skill execution and sleep deprivation: Effects of acute caffeine or creatine supplementation – A randomized placebo-controlled trial. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 8(2): 1-8, 2011.
6. Cutsem, JV, De Pauw, K, Marcora, S, Meeusem, R, and Roelands, B. A caffeine-maltodextrin mouth rinse counters mental fatigue. Psychopharmacology 235: 947-958, 2018.
7. Duncan, MJ, Dobell, AP, Caygill, CL, Eyre, E, and Tallis, J. The effect of acute caffeine ingestion on upper body anaerobic exercise and cognitive performance. European Journal of Sport Science 1-9, 2018.
8. Dunican, IC, Higgins, CC, Jones, MJ, Clarke, MW, Murray, K, Dawson, B, et al. Caffeine use in a Super Rugby game and its relationship to post-game sleep. European Journal of Sport Science 18(4): 513-523, 2018.
9. Ganio, MS, Klau, JF, Casa, DJ, Armstrong, LE, and Maresh, CM. Effect of caffeine on sport-specific endurance performance: A systematic review. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 23(1): 315-324, 2009.
10. Garthe, I, and Maughan, RJ. Athletes and supplements: Prevalence and perspectives. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 28: 126-138, 2018.
11. Goldstein, ER, Ziegenfuss, T, Kalman, D, Kreider, R, Campbell, B, Wilborn, C, et al. International society of sports nutrition position stand: caffeine and performance. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 7(5): 1-15, 2010.
12. Goncalves, LS, Painelli, VS, Yamaguchi, G, Olivera, LF, Saunders, B, Silva, RP, et al. Dispelling the myth that habitual caffeine consumption influences the performance response to acute caffeine supplementation. Journal of Applied Physiology 23(1): 213-220, 2017.
13. Graham, TE, and Spriet, LL. Caffeine and exercise performance. Sports Science Exchange 1(9): 1996.
14. Grgic, J, Trexler, ET, Lazinica, B, and Pedisic, Z. Effects of caffeine intake on muscle strength and power: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 15(11): 1-10, 2018.
15. Guerra Jr, MA, Caldas, LC, De Souza, HL, Vitzel, KF, Cholewa, JM, Dunca, MJ, and Guimaraes-Ferreira, L. The acute effects of plyometric and sled towing stimuli with and without caffeine ingestion on vertical jump performance in professional soccer players. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 15(51): 1-7, 2018.
16. Guest, N, Corey, P, Vescovi, J, and El-Sohemy, A. Caffeine,CYP1A2 Genotype, and Endurance Performance in Athletes. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 50(8): 1570-1578, 2018.
17. Guest, NS, Horne, J, Vanderhout, SM, and El-Sohemy, A. Sport nutrigenomics: Personalized nutrition for athletic performance. Frontiers in Nutrition 6(8): 1-16, 2019.
18. Haff, GG, and Triplett, NT. Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 176-177, 2016.
19. Johnson, L, White, K, and Smith, R. Leg injuries in sports. Journal of Sports Medicine 11(3): 14-25, 2009.
20. Juliana, M, and Rafaella-Maria, S. Does caffeine enhance athletic performance? Arab Journal of Nutrition and Exercise 1(1): 52-62, 2017.
21. Killer, SC, Blannin, AK, and Jeukendrup AE. No evidence of dehydration with moderate daily coffee intake: A counterbalanced cross-over study in a free-living population. Plos One 9(1): e84154, 2014.
22. Kizzi, J, Sum, A, Houston, FE, and Hayes, LD. Influence of a caffeine mouth rinse on sprint cycling following glycogen depletion. European Journal of Sport Science 1-8, 2016.
23. Maughan, RJ, and Shirrefs, SM. Making decisions about supplement use. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 28: 212-219, 2018.
24. Maughan, RJ, Burke, LM, Dvorak, J, Larson-Meyer, DE, Peeling, P, Phillips, SM, et al. IOC consensus statement: Dietary supplements and the high-performance athlete. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism28: 104-125, 2018.
25. Pickering, C, and Kiely, J. Are the current guidelines on caffeine use in sport optimal for everyone? Inter-individual variation in caffeine ergogenicity, and a move towards personalised sports nutrition. Sports Medicine 48(1): 7-16, 2017.
26. Rahimi, R. The effect of CYP1A2 genotype on the ergogenic properties of caffeine during resistance exercise: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover study. Irish Journal of Medical Science 188(1): 337-345, 2018.
27. Sassone, J, Muster, M, and Barrack, MT. Prevalence and predictors of higher-risk supplement use among collegiate athletes. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 33(2): 443-450, 2018.
28. Smirmaul, BPC, Moraes, AC, Angius, L, and Marcora, SM. Effects of caffeine on neuromuscular fatigue and performance during high-intensity cycling exercise in moderate hypoxia. European Journal of Applied Physiology 117: 27-38, 2017.
29. Sokmen, B, Armstrong, LE, Kraemer, WJ, Casa, DJ, Dias, JC, Judelson, DA, and Maresh, CM. Caffeine use in sports: Considerations for the athlete. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 22(3): 978-986, 2008.
30. Wickham, KA, and Spriet, LL. Administration of caffeine in alternate forms. Sports Medicine 48(Suppl 1): S79-S91, 2018.
31. Woolf, K, Bidwell, WK, and Carlson, AG. The effect of caffeine as an ergogenic aid in anaerobic exercise. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism 18: 412-429, 2008.