by DR Andrew D. Gillham, PhD, CSCS,*D
NSCA Coach January 2019
Vol 5, Issue 3
This article originally appeared in NSCA Coach, a quarterly publication for NSCA Members that provides valuable takeaways for every level of strength and conditioning coach. You can find scientifically based articles specific to a wide variety of your athletes’ needs with Nutrition, Programming, and Youth columns. Read more articles from NSCA Coach »
1. Bloom, GA, Stevens, DE, and Wickware, TL. Expert coaches’ perceptions of team building. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 15: 129-141, 2003.
2. Bray, RM, Kerr, NL, and Atken, RS. Effects of group size, problem difficulty, and sex on group performance and member reactions. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 36: 1224-1240, 1978.
3. Burke, SM, Shapcott, KM, Carron, AV, Bradshaw, MH, and Estabrooks, PA. Group goal setting and group performance in a physical activity context. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology 8: 245-261, 2010.
4. Burton, D, Gillham, A, and Glenn, S. Motivational styles: Examining the impact of personality on the self-talk patterns of adolescent female soccer players. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 23: 413-428, 2011.
5. Burton, D, and Weiss, C. The fundamental goal concept: The path to process and performance success. In: Horn, TS (ED.), Advances in Sport Psychology. (3rd ed.) Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 339-375, 2008.
6. Carron, AV, and Eys, MA. Group Dynamics in Sport. Morgantown, WV: Fitness Information Technology; 368-369, 2012.
7. Carron, AV, Widmeyer, WN, and Brawley, LR. The development of an instrument to assess cohesion in sport teams: The Group Environment Questionnaire. Journal of Sport Psychology 7: 8-18, 1985.
8. Carron, A, and Brawley, L. Group dynamics in sport and physical activity. In: Horn, TS (ED.), Advances in Sport Psychology. (3rd ed.) Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 213-237, 2008.
9. Carron, AV, Spink, KS, and Prapavessis, H. Team building and cohesiveness in the sport and exercise setting: Use of indirect interventions. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 9: 61-72, 1997.
10. Colman, MM, and Carron, AV. The nature of norms in individual sport teams. Small Group Research 32: 206-222, 2001.
11. Cope, CJ, Eys, MA, Schinke, RJ, and Bosselut, G. Coaches’ perspectives of a negative informal role: The ‘cancer’ within sport teams. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 22: 420-436, 2010.
12. Eys, M, Loughead, T, Bray, SR, and Carron, AV. Development of a cohesion questionnaire for youth: The Youth Sport Environment Questionnaire. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology 31: 390-408, 2009.
13. Forsyth, DR. Group Dynamics. (5th ed.) Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning; 2010.
14. Gillham, A. The application of systematic goal setting for strength and conditioning coaches. NSCA Coach 3: 4-6, 2016.
15. Gillham, A, and Weiler, D. Goal setting with a college soccer team: What went right, and less-than right. Journal of Sport Psychology in Action 4: 97-108, 2013.
16. Hanegby, R, and Tenenbaum, G. Blame it on the racket: Normbreaking behaviours among junior tennis players. Psychology of Sport and Exercise 2: 117-134, 2001.
17. Judge, LW, and Craig, B. The disconnect between research and current coaching practices. Strength and Conditioning Journal 36(1): 46- 54, 2014.
18. Martin, Lj, Carron, AV, and Burke, SM. Team building interventions in sport: A meta-analysis. Sport and Exercise Psychology Review 5: 3-18, 2009.
19. NSCA. NSCA strength and conditioning professional standards and guidelines. Strength and Conditioning Journal 39(6): 1-24, 2017.
20. Steiner, ID. Group Processes and Group Productivity. New York: Academic; 1972.
21. Thelen, HA. Group dynamics in instruction: The principle of least group size. School Review 50: 139-148, 1949.
22. Turnnidge, J, and Côté, J. Transformational coaching workshop: Applying a person-centered approach to coach development programs. International Sport Coaching Journal 4: 314-325, 2017.
23. Weinberg, R. Making goals effective: A primer for coaches. Journal of Sport Psychology in Action 1: 57-65, 2010.
24. Yukelson, D. Principles of effective team building interventions in sport: A direct services approach at Penn State University. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 9: 73-96, 1997.
25. Zaccaro, SJ, Blair, V, Peterson, C, and Zazanis, M. Collective efficacy. In: Maddux, J (ED.), Self-Efficacy, Adaptation, and Adjustment. New York: Plenum; 305-328, 1995.