by Shawn P. Myszka, CSCS
NSCA Coach March 2019
Vol 4, Issue 5
This article originally appeared in NSCA Coach, a quarterly publication for NSCA Members that provides valuable takeaways for every level of strength and conditioning coach. You can find scientifically based articles specific to a wide variety of your athletes’ needs with Nutrition, Programming, and Youth columns. Read more articles from NSCA Coach »
1. Araujo, D, and Davids, K. What exactly is acquired during skill acquisition? Journal of Consciousness Studies 18(3-4): 7-23, 2011.
2. Bernstein, N. The Co-ordination and Regulations of Movements. Oxford, NY: Pergamon Press, 1967.
3. Chow, J, Davids, K, Button, C, and Renshaw, I. Nonlinear Pedagogy in Skill Acquisition. New York, NY: Routledge, 2016.
4. Davids, K, Araujo, D, Vilar, L, Renshaw, I, and Pinder, R. An ecological dynamics approach to skill acquisition: Implications for development of talent in sport. Talent Development and Excellence 5(1): 21-34, 2013.
5. Davids, K, Button, C, and Bennett, S. Dynamics of Skill Acquisition: A Constraints-Led Approach. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2008.
6. Guadagnoli, L, and Lee, T. Challenge point: A framework for conceptualizing the effects of various practice conditions in motor learning. Journal of Motor Behavior 36(2): 212-224, 2004.
7. Hendry, D, and Hodges, N. Getting on the right track: Athlete-centered practice for expert performance in sport. In: McGarry, T, Sampio, J, and O’Donaghue, P (Eds). Routledge Handbook of Sport Performance Analysis. New York, NY: Routledge; 2013.
8. Jacobs, D, and Michaels, C. Direct Learning. Ecological Psychology 19: 321-349, 2007.
9. Latash, M, Turvey, M, and Bernstein, N. Dexterity and Its Development. Mahwah, NJ: L. Erlbaum Associates; 1996.
10. Newell, KM. Constraints on the development of co-ordination. In Wade, MG, and Whiting, HTA (Eds.), Motor Development in Children: Aspects of Coordination and Control. Dodrech: Martinus Nijhoff; 341-360, 1986.
11. Seifert, L, Komar, J, Araujo, D, and Davids, K. Neurobiological degeneracy: A key property for functional adaptations of perception and action to constraints. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews 69: 159-165, 2016.
12. Teques, P, Araujo, D, Seifert, L, del Campo, V, and Davids, K. The resonant system: Linking brain-body-environment in sport performance. Progress in Brain Research 234: 33-52, 2017.