by Scott P. Caulfield, MA, CSCS,*D, RSCC*D and Brian T. Gearity, PhD, ATC, CSCS,*D, FNSCA
NSCA Coach May 2017
Vol 5, Issue 1
This article originally appeared in NSCA Coach, a quarterly publication for NSCA Members that provides valuable takeaways for every level of strength and conditioning coach. You can find scientifically based articles specific to a wide variety of your athletes’ needs with Nutrition, Programming, and Youth columns. Read more articles from NSCA Coach »
1. Allen, GR. Developing a youth coaching philosophy. Soccer Journal 54(5): 28-30, 2009.
2. Cushion, C, and Partington, M. A critical analysis of the conceptualization of “coaching philosophy.” Sport, Education, & Society 21(6): 1-17, 2014.
3. Gearity, B. The discipline of philosophy in strength and conditioning. Strength and Conditioning Journal 32(6): 110-117, 2010.
4. Gilbert, W, Lictenwaldt, L, Gilbert, J, Zelezny, L, and Cote, J. Developmental profiles of successful high school coaches. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching 4(3): 415-431, 2009.
5. Jones, RL, Harris, R, and Miles, A. Mentoring in sports coaching: A review of the literature. Physical Education and Sport Pedagogy 14(3): 276-284, 2009.
6. Kraemer, WJ. A series of studies - The physiological basis for strength training in American football: Fact over philosophy. Strength and Conditioning Journal 11: 131-142, 1997.
7. Martens, R. Successful Coaching. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 1996.
8. McCallister, SG, Blinde, EM, and Weiss, WM. Teaching values and implementing philosophies: Dilemmas of the youth sport coach. Physical Educator 51(1): 35-44, 2000.
9. McGladrey, BW, Murray, MA, and Hannon, JC. Developing and practicing an athlete-centered coaching philosophy. Journal of Youth Sports 5(2): 4-8, 2000.
10. Massey, CD, and Maneval, M. A call to improve educational programs in strength and conditioning. Strength and Conditioning Journal 36(1): 23-27, 2010.
11. Roberts, G. Hey coach do you have a coaching philosophy. Rugby League Coach Manual 10-12, 2010.
12. Triplett, TN, Williams, C, McHenry, P, and Doscher, M. NSCA Strength and conditioning Professional Standards and Guidelines. Strength and Conditioning Journal 39(6): 1-24, 2017.
13. Smelley, R. The value of a coaching philosophy. Track Coach 8: 6505-6513, 2013.
14. Van Mullem, P, and Brunner, D. Developing a successful coaching philosophy: A step by step approach. Strategies 26(3): 29-34, 2003.