by Brian T. Gearity, PhD, ATC, CSCS,*D, FNSCA and Gabrielle Smith, MA
NSCA Coach November 2015
Vol 2, Issue 4
This article originally appeared in NSCA Coach, a quarterly publication for NSCA Members that provides valuable takeaways for every level of strength and conditioning coach. You can find scientifically based articles specific to a wide variety of your athletes’ needs with Nutrition, Programming, and Youth columns. Read more articles from NSCA Coach »
1. Bleakley, C, McDonough, S, and MacAuley, D. The use of ice in the treatment of acute soft-tissue injury: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. American Journal of Sports Medicine 32(1): 251-261, 2004.
2. Gross, MT. Chronic tendinitis: Pathomechanics of injury, factors affecting the healing response, and treatment. Journal of Orthopaedic Sports Physical Therapy 16(6): 248-261, 1992.
3. James, R, Kesturu, G, Balian, G, and Chhabra, AB. Tendon: Biology, biomechanics, repair, growth factors, and evolving treatment options. Journal of Hand Surgery 33(A): 102-112, 2008.
4. Marieb, EN, and Hoehn, K. Human Anatomy and Physiology (10th ed.). New York, NY: Pearson Education, Inc.; 2016.
5. Nordqvist, C. What is inflammation? What causes inflammation? 2015. Retrieved March 18, 2015 from http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/248423.php.
6. Ogbru, O. Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs). Medicine Net. 2015. Retrieved April 18, 2015 from http://www.medicinenet.com/nonsteroidal_antiinflammatory_drugs/article.htm.
7. Ong, CKS, Lirk, P, Tan, CH, and Seymour, RA. An evidence-based update on nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Journal of Clinical Medicine Research 5(1): 19-34, 2007.
8. Sharma, P, and Maffulli, N. Tendon injury and tendinopathy: Healing and repair. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery American 87(1): 187-202, 2005.
9. Takagi, R, Fujita, N, Arakawa, T, Kawada, S, Ishii, N, and Miki, A. Influence of icing on muscle regeneration after crush injury to skeletal muscles in rats. Journal of Applied Physiology 110(2): 382-388, 2011.
10. Wilson, JJ, and Best, TM. Common overuse tendon problems: A review and recommendations for treatment. American Family Physician 72(5): 811-818, 2005.