by Gary S. Stebbing, CSCS
NSCA Coach November 2013
Vol 2, Issue 4
This article originally appeared in NSCA Coach, a quarterly publication for NSCA Members that provides valuable takeaways for every level of strength and conditioning coach. You can find scientifically based articles specific to a wide variety of your athletes’ needs with Nutrition, Programming, and Youth columns. Read more articles from NSCA Coach »
1. Bishop, D, and Giroud, O. Repeated sprint ability. In: Cardinale, M, Newton, R, and Nosaka, K (Eds). Strength and Conditioning – Biological Principles and Practical Applications. Chichester UK: Wiley-Blackwell; 223-241, 2011.
2. Bishop, D, Giraud, O, and Mendez-Villanueva, A. Repeated sprint ability – Part II: Recommendations for training. Sports Medicine 41(9): 741-756, 2011.
3. Buchheit, M, Bishop, D, Haydar, B, Nakamura, FY, and Ahmaidi, S. Physiological responses to shuttle repeated sprint running. International Journal of Sports Medicine 31(6): 402-409, 2010.
4. Buchheit, M, Mendez-Villaneuva, A, Delhommel, G, Brughelli, M, and Ahmaidi, S. Improving repeated sprint ability in young elite soccer players: Repeated shuttle sprints vs explosive training. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 42(10): 2715-2722, 2010.
5. Chaouachi, A, Manzi, V, Wong, DP, Chaalali, A, Laurencelle, L, Chamari, K, and Castagna, C. Intermittent endurance and repeated sprint ability in soccer players. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 24(10): 2663-2668, 2010.
6. Dellal, A, Chamari, K, Wong, DP, Ahmaidi, S, Keller, D, and Barros, RML. Comparison of physical and technical performance in European soccer match-play: FA Premier League and La Liga. European Journal of Sport Science 11(1): 51-59, 2011.
7. Gharbi, Z, Dardouri, W, Haj-Sassi, R, Chamari, K, and Souissi, N. Aerobic and Anaerobic determinants of repeated sprint ability in team sport athletes. Biology of Sport 32(3): 207-212, 2015.
8. Gregson, W, Drust, B, Atkinson, G, and Salvo, VD. Match to match variability of high speed activities in Premier League Soccer. International Journal of Sports Medicine 31(4): 237-242, 2010.
9. Haugen, T, Tonnessen, E, Leirstein, S, Hem, E, and Seiler, S. Not quite so fast: Effect of training at 90% sprint speed on maximal and repeated-sprint ability in soccer players. Journal of Sport Sciences 32(20): 1979-1986, 2014.
10. Haugen, TA, Tonnessen, E, and Seiler, S. Anaerobic performance testing of professional soccer players 1995-2010. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance 8(2):148-156, 2013.
11. Hoff, J. Training and testing physical capacities for elite soccer players. Journal of Sport Sciences 23(6): 573-582, 2005.
12. Hoff, J, and Helgerud, J. Endurance and strength training for soccer players – Physiological considerations. Sports Medicine 34(3): 165-180, 2004.
13. Johnston, RD, and Gabett, T. Repeated sprint and effort ability in rugby league players. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 25(10): 2789-2795, 2011.
14. Le Rossignol, P, Gabbett, TJ, Comerford, D, and Stanton, WR. Repeated sprint ability and team selection in Australian Football League players. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance 9(1): 161-165, 2014.
15. López-Segovia, M, Dellal, A, Chamari, K, and González-Badillo, JJ. Importance of muscle power variables in repeated and single sprint performance in soccer. Journal of Human Kinetics 40, 201-211, 2014.
16. McGawley, K, and Anderson, PI. The order of concurrent training does not affect soccer related performance adaptations. International Journal of Sports Medicine 34(11): 983-990, 2013.
17. Mohr, M, and Marcello Iaia, F. Physiological basis of fatigue resistance training in competitive football. Gatorade Sports Science Exchange 27(126): 1-9, 2014.
18. Osgnach, C, Poser, S, Bernardini, R, and di Prampero. Energy cost and metabolic power in elite soccer: A new match analysis approach. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 42(1): 170-178, 2010.
19. Reilly, T. An ergonomics model of the soccer training process. Journal of Sport Sciences 23(6): 561-572, 2005.
20. Turner, AN, and Stewart, PF. Strength and conditioning for soccer players. Strength and Conditioning Journal 36(4): 1-13, 2014.