by Jonathan Lynch, MS, CSCS,*D
NSCA Coach June 2016
Vol 4, Issue 4
This article originally appeared in NSCA Coach, a quarterly publication for NSCA Members that provides valuable takeaways for every level of strength and conditioning coach. You can find scientifically based articles specific to a wide variety of your athletes’ needs with Nutrition, Programming, and Youth columns. Read more articles from NSCA Coach »
1. Bagwell, J, Fukuda, TY, and Powers, CM. Sagittal plane pelvis motion influences transverse plane motion of the femur: Kinematic coupling at the hip joint. Gait and Posture 43: 120-124, 2016.
2. Bartholomew, JB, Stults-Kolehmainen, MA, Elrod, CC, and Todd, JS. Strength gains after resistance training: The effect of stressful, negative life events. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research22(4): 1215-1221, 2008.
3. Haff, GG, and Triplett, TN. Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning (4th ed.) Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 161, 2016.
4. Hruska, R. Myokinematic Restoration: An Integrated Approach to Treatment of Patterned Lumbo-Pelvic-Femoral Pathomechanics. Postural Restoration Institute; 2017.
5. Mann, JB, Bryant, KR, Johnstone, B, Ivey, PA, and Sayers, SP. Effect of physical and academic stress on illness and injury in Division 1 college football players. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research30(1): 20-25, 2015.
6. Martinez, AC, Seco Calvo, J, Tur Mari, JA, Abecia Inchaurrequi, LC, Orella, EE, and Biescas, AP. Testosterone and cortisol changes in professional basketball players through a competitive season. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 24(4): 1102-1108, 2010.
7. McArdle, WD, Katch, FI, and Katch, VL. Exercise Physiology: Nutrition, Energy, and Human Performance (7th ed.) Baltimore, MD: Lippincott, Williams, and Wilkins; 328, 2009.
8. Selye, H. The general adaptation syndrome and the diseases of adaptation. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 6(2): 117-230, 1946.
9. Spielberger, CD. Understanding Stress and Anxiety (The Life Cycle Series). London, UK: Harper and Row; 1979.
10. Spielberger, CD, Gorsuch, RL, and Lushene, RE. Manual for the State-Trait Anxiety Inventory. Palo Alto, CA: Consulting Psychologists Press; 1970.
11. Stress. Merriam-Webster Dictionary Online. Retrieved 2017 from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stress.
12. Stults-Kolehmainen, MA, Bartholomew, JB, and Sinha, R. Chronic psychological stress impairs recovery of muscular function and somatic sensations over a 96 hour period. The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 28(7): 2007-2017, 2014.
13. The National Collegiate Athletic Association. NCAA Division 1 Manual: August 2016-17. Indianapolis, IN; 2016.