by Michael Rogers, CSCS, TSAC-F
TSAC Report July 2019
Vol 52, Issue 3
1. Allen, K, and Metoyer, C. Periodization approach utilizing progressive overload method for physical training program in ROTC cadets. TSAC Report 44: 18-20, 2017.
2. Alvar, B, Sell, K, and Deuster, P. NSCA’s Essentials of Tactical Strength and Conditioning. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2017.
3. Barak, Y, Ayalon, M, and Dvir, Z. Transferability of strength gains from limited to full range of motion. Journal of the American College of Sports Medicine 10(1249): 1413-1420, 2004.
4. Baumgartner, T, and Hensley, L. Conducting & Reading Research in Kinesiology. (5th ed.) New York, NY: McGraw Hill; 2013.
5. Bompa, T, and Buzzichelli, C. Periodization Training for Sports. (3rd ed.) Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 7-89, 2015.
6. Haff, G, Triplett T. Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning. (4th ed.) Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 32-57, 2017.
7. Heebner, N, Abt, J, and Lovalekar, M. Physical and performance characteristics related to unintentional musculoskeletal injury in Special Forces Operators: A prospective analysis. Journal of Athletic Training 52(12): 1153-1160, 2017.
8. Kelly, T, Masi, R, and Walker, B. An assessment of the Army’s Tactical Human Optimization, Rapid Rehabilitation and Reconditioning Program. Rand Arroyo Center Technical Report, 2013.
9. Knapik, J. Physiological, biomechanical, and medical aspects of soldier load carriage. U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine. Kingston, Canada: RTO MP-056, 2000.
10. Leahy, G. Military fitness research. TSAC Report 47: 18-21, 2017.
11. Merkel, D. Youth sport: Positive and negative impact on young athletes. Journal of Sports Medicine 4: 151-160, 2013.
12. Mike, J, Cole, N, and Herrera, C. The effects of eccentric contraction duration on muscle strength, power production, vertical jump, and soreness. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 31(3): 773-786, 2017.
13. NCAA Job Market. Retrieved December 2, 2018 from https:// www.ncaamarket.ncaa.org/jobseekers/.
14. Scofield, D, Matthews, L, and Kardouni, J. A sample six-week exercise program to improve general physical preparedness for an occupational physical assessment. TSAC Report 46: 46-49, 2018.
15. Sell, K. Firefighter fitness: The importance of a complete fitness program. TSAC Report 12: 12.1-12.3, 2010.
16. Stephenson, M. Suspension training. TSAC Report 1: 1.4-1.7, 2007.
17. THOR3 Staff. Interviews conducted with three NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Coaches and one athletic trainer at the JFK Special Warfare Center and School. Fort Bragg, NC, 2018.
18. United States Department of Education. Retrieved June 15, 2018 from https://www.ed.gov/rschstat.
19. Young, M. Director of performance at the athletic lab in Cary, NC and consultant to the military. Information obtained through an internship and a personal interview. March 2017-July 2018.
20. Zemke, B. The use of strongman type implements and training to increase sport performance in collegiate athletes. Strength and Conditioning Journal 33(4): 1-7, 2011.