by Andrew D. Gillham, PhD, CSCS,*D
NSCA Coach July 2016
Vol 3, Issue 3
This article originally appeared in NSCA Coach, a quarterly publication for NSCA Members that provides valuable takeaways for every level of strength and conditioning coach. You can find scientifically based articles specific to a wide variety of your athletes’ needs with Nutrition, Programming, and Youth columns. Read more articles from NSCA Coach »
1. Anderson, R, Hanrahan, S, and Mallett, CJ. Investigating the optimal psychological state for peak performance in Australian elite athletes. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 26: 318-333, 2014.
2. Bandura, A. Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: Freeman, 1997.
3. Craft, L, Magyar, M, Becker, B, and Feltz, D. The relationship between the Competitive State Anxiety Inventory-2 and sport performance: A meta-analysis. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology 25: 44-65, 2003.
4. Giacobbi, PR, Hausenblas, HA, Fallon, EA, and Hall, C. Even more about exercise imagery: A grounded theory of exercise imagery. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 15: 160-175, 2003.
5. Gillham, A. The application of systematic goal setting for strength and conditioning coaches. NSCA Coach 3(2): 4-7, 2016.
6. Gillham, A, Doscher, M, Schofield, G, Dalrymple, D, and Bird, S. Strength and conditioning roundtable: Working with novice coaches. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching 10: 985-1000, 2015.
7. Gillham, A, Schofield, G, Doscher, M, Dalrymple, D, and Kenn, J. Developing and implementing a coaching philosophy: Guidance from award-winning strength and conditioning coaches. International Sport Coaching Journal 3: 54-64, 2016.
8. Koehn, S, Morris, T, and Watt, A. Correlates of dispositional and state flow in tennis competition. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 25: 354-369, 2013.
9. Koehn, S, Pearce, A, and Morris, T. The integrated model of sport confidence: A canonical correlation and mediational analysis. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology 35: 644-654, 2013.
10. Vealey, R. Understanding and enhancing self-confidence in athletes. In: Singer, RN, Hauesenblas, HA, and Janelle, CM (Eds.), Handbook of Sport Psychology. (2nd ed.) New York: Wiley; 550- 565, 2001.
11. Vealey, R, and Chase, M. Self-confidence in sport. In: Horn, TS (Ed.), Advances in Sport Psychology. (3rd ed.) Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 65-97, 2008.
12. Vealey, R, Hayashi, S, Garner-Holman, M, and Giacobbi, P. Sources of sport-confidence: Conceptualization and instrument development. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology 20(1): 54- 80, 1998.