by Alexander McDaniel, PhD, ATC, LAT, CSCS and Lindsey Schroeder
NSCA Coach February 2020
Vol 6, Issue 4
This article originally appeared in NSCA Coach, a quarterly publication for NSCA Members that provides valuable takeaways for every level of strength and conditioning coach. You can find scientifically based articles specific to a wide variety of your athletes’ needs with Nutrition, Programming, and Youth columns. Read more articles from NSCA Coach »
1. Delecluse, C. Influence of strength training on sprint running performance. Sports Medicine 24(3): 147-156, 1997.
2. DeWees, BH, Hornsby G, Stone, M, and Stone, MH. The training process: Planning for strength-power training in track and field, part 2: Practical and applied aspects. Journal of Sport and Health Science 4(4): 318-324, 2015.
3. Duffield, R, Dawson, B, and Goodman, C. Energy system contribution to 100-m and 200-m track running events. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 7(3): 302-313, 2004.
4. Faigenbaum, AD, McFarland, JE, Keiper, FB, Tevlin, W, Ratamess, NA, Kang, J, and Hoffman, JR. Effects of a short-term plyometric and resistance training program on fitness performance in boys age 12 to 15 years. Journal of Sports Science & Medicine 6(4): 519-525, 2007.
5. Fischetti, F, Vilardi, A, Cataldi, S, and Greco, G. Effects of plyometric training program on speed and explosive strength of lower limbs in young athletes. Journal of Physical Education and Sport 18(4): 2476-2482, 2018.
6. Habbibi, A, Shabani, M, Rahimi, E, Fatemi, R, Najafi, A, Analoei, H, and Hosseini, M. Relationship between jump test results and acceleration phase of sprint performance in national and regional 100m sprinters. Journal of Human Kinetics 23: 29-35, 2010.
7. Harries SK, Lubans DR, and Callister, R. Resistance training to improve power and sports performance in adolescent athletes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 15:532-540, 2012.
8. Hoffman, JR Cooper J, Wendall, M, and Kang, J. Comparison of Olympic vs. traditional power lifting training programs in football players. Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research 18(1):129-135, 2004.
9. Houglum, P. Therapeutic Exercise for Musculoskeletal Injuries. (4th ed.). Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 125-152, 2016.
10. Maćkata, K, Fostiak, M, and Kowalski, K. Selected determinants of acceleration in the 100m sprint. Journal of Human Kinetics 45: 135-148, 2015.
11. Morin, JB, Edouard, P, and Samozino, P. Technical ability of force application as a determinant factor of sprint performance. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 43(9): 1680-1688, 2011.
12. Potach, DH, and Chu, DA. Program Design and Technique for Plyometric Training. In: Haff, GG, and Triplett, NT. (eds.), Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning. (4th ed.) Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 471-520, 2015.