by Maura Bergan, MS, CSCS, and Jasmin Hutchinson, PhD
NSCA Coach June 2017
Vol 3, Issue 2
This article originally appeared in NSCA Coach, a quarterly publication for NSCA Members that provides valuable takeaways for every level of strength and conditioning coach. You can find scientifically based articles specific to a wide variety of your athletes’ needs with Nutrition, Programming, and Youth columns. Read more articles from NSCA Coach »
1. Bergan, ME. Female athlete-strength coach relationships, motivational climate, and intrinsic motivation in the weight room. Master’s Thesis; 2014.
2. Jowett, S. When the “honeymoon” is over: A case study of a coach-athlete dyad in crisis. The Sport Psychologist 17(4): 444- 460, 2003.
3. Jowett, S, and Felton, L. The role of psychological factors in recreational sport participation. Sports Coach UK 1-26, 2013.
4. Jowett, S, and Lavallee, D. Social Psychology in Sport. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 15-28, 2007.
5. Jowett, S, and Ntoumanis, N. The coach-athlete relationship questionnaire (CART-Q): Development and initial validation. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sport 14(4): 245-257, 2004.
6. McNaughton, D, Hamlin, D, McCarthy, J, Head-Reeves, D, and Schreiner, M. Teaching an active listening strategy to preservice education professionals. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education 27(4): 223-231, 2007.
7. Newton, M, Duda, JL, and Yin, Z. Examination of the psychometric properties of the Perceived Motivational Climate in Sport Questionnaire-2 in a sample of female athletes. Journal of Sports Sciences 18(4): 275-290, 2000.
8. Rhind, DA, and Jowett, S. Relationship maintenance strategies in the coach-athlete relationship: The development of the COMPASS model. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 22(1): 106- 121, 2010.
9. Rhind, DA, Jowett, SS, and Yang, SX. A comparison of athletes’ perceptions of the coach- athlete relationship in team and individual sports. Journal of Sport Behavior 35(4): 433-452, 2012.
10. Smith, SL, Fry, MD, Ethington, CA, and Li, Y. The effect of female athletes’ perceptions of their coaches’ behaviors on their perceptions of the motivational climate. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology 17(2): 170-177, 2005.