by Anthony Mortara, EdD, CSCS, Mike T. Lane, PhD, CSCS,*D, and Amanda Peach MS
Personal Training Quarterly September 2018
Vol 5, Issue 1
This article originally appeared in Personal Training Quarterly (PTQ)—a quarterly publication for NSCA Members designed specifically for the personal trainer. Discover easy-to-read, research-based articles that take your training knowledge further with Nutrition, Programming, and Personal Business Development columns in each quarterly, electronic issue. Read more articles from PTQ »
1. Banfi, G, Melegati, G, Barassi, A, Dogliotti, G, Eril, GM, Dugue, B, and Corsi, M. Effects of whole-body cryotherapy on serum mediators of inflammation and serum muscle enzymes in athletes. Journal of Thermal Biology 34(2): 55-59, 2009.
2. Bleakley, CM, and Hopkins, JT. Is it possible to achieve optimal levels of tissue cooling in cryotherapy? Physical Therapy Reviews 15(4): 344-350, 2010.
3. Bleakley, CM, Bieuzen, F, Davison, GW, and Costello, JT. Whole-body cryotherapy: Empirical evidence and theoretical perspectives. Open Access Journal of Sports Medicine 5: 25-36, 2014.
4. Ferreira-Junior, JB, Bottaro, M, Loenneke, JP, Vieira, A, Vieira, CA, and Bemben, MG. Could whole-body cryotherapy (below -100° C) improve muscle recovery from muscle damage? Frontiers in Physiology 5 (247): 1-4, 2014.
5. Fonda, B, De Nardi, M, and Sarabon, N. Effects of whole-body cryotherapy duration on thermal and cardiovascular response. Journal of Thermal Biology 42: 52-55, 2014.
6. Fonda, B, and Sarabon, N. Effects of whole-body cryotherapy on recovery after hamstring damaging exercise: A crossover study. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports 23(5): 270-278, 2013.
7. Hausswirth, C, Louis, J, Bieuzen, F, Pournot, H, Fournier, J, Filliard, JR, and Brisswalter, J. Effects of whole-body cryotherapy vs. far-infrared vs. passive modalities on recovery from exerciseinduced muscle damage in highly-trained runners. PloS ONE 6(12): e27749, 2011.
8. Pournot, H, Bieuzen, F, Louis, J, Fillard, JR, Barbiche, E, and Hausswirth, C. Time course of changes in inflammatory response after whole-body cryotherapy multi exposures following severe exercise. PloS ONE 6(7): e22748, 2011.
9. Rose, C, Edwards, KM, Sieglar, J, Graham, K, Caillaud, C. Whole-body cryotherapy as a recovery technique after exercise: A review of the literature. International Journal of Sports Medicine 38: 1049-1060, 2017.
10. Selfe, J, Alexander, J, Costello, JT, May, K, Garratt, N, Atkins, S, et al. The effect of three different (-135°C) whole body cryotherapy exposure durations on elite rugby league players. PLoS ONE 9(1): e86420, 2014.
11. Ziemann, E, Olek, RA, Kujach, S, Grzywacz, T, Antosiewicz, J, Garsztka, T, and Laskowski, R. Five-day whole-body cryostimulation, blood inflammatory markers, and performance in high-ranking professional tennis players. Journal of Athletic Training 47(6): 664-672, 2012.