by Joyce Blandino and Michael Krackow, CSCS, TSAC-F
Personal Training Quarterly August 2019
Vol 6, Issue 2
This article originally appeared in Personal Training Quarterly (PTQ)—a quarterly publication for NSCA Members designed specifically for the personal trainer. Discover easy-to-read, research-based articles that take your training knowledge further with Nutrition, Programming, and Personal Business Development columns in each quarterly, electronic issue. Read more articles from PTQ »
1. Anderson, AM, Meador, KA, McClure, LR, Makrozahopoulos, Brooks, DJ, and Mirka, GA. A biomechanical analysis of anterior load carriage. Ergonomics 50(12): 2104-2117, 2007.
2. Bennett, S. Using “Strongman” exercises in training. Strength and Conditioning Journal 30(3): 42-43, 2008.
3. Blandino, J, and Krackow, M. The effect of foot placement on postural sway during the barbell bicep curl exercise. Presented at NSCA 2018 National Conference, July 11-14, 2018, Indianapolis, IN. http://www.eventscribe.com/2018/posters/nsca/SplitViewer. asp?PID=MjA1NDYzNTU2MDA.
4. Blandino, J, and Krackow, M. Comparing muscle activity at parallel and staggered stance during biceps curl exercise. Presented at NSCA 2018 National Conference, July 11-14, 2018, Indianapolis, IN. http://www.eventscribe.com/2018/posters/nsca/ SplitViewer.asp?PID=MjA1MTgyNzA1NjQ.
5. Bonnet, CT. Broad stance conditions change postural control and postural sway. Journal of Motor Behavior 44(2): 125-131, 2012.
6. Carlsoo, S. Influence of frontal and dorsal loads on muscle activity and on the weight distribution in the feet. Acta Orthopaedica Scandinavica 34(4): 299-309, 1964.
7. Demontiero, O, Vidal C, and Duque, G. Aging and bone loss: New insights for the clinician. Therapeutic Advances in Musculoskeletal Disease 4(2): 61-76, 2012.
8. El-Rich, M, Shirazi-Adl, A, and Arjmand, N. Muscle activity, internal loads, and stability of the human spine in standing postures: Combined model and In Vivo studies. SPINE 29(23): 2633-2642, 2004.
9. Gillette, JC, and Abbas, JJ. Foot placement alters the mechanisms of postural control while standing and reaching. IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering 11(4): 377-385, 2003.
10. Giulio, I, Constantino, N, Baltzopoulos, V, and Loram, I. The proprioceptive and agonist roles of gastrocnemius, soleus, and tibialis anterior muscles in maintaining human upright position. The Journal of Physiology 587(10): 2399-2416, 2009.
11. Gonçalves, M, Oliveira ASC, Cardozo AC, and Barbosa, FS. Electromyographic analysis of biceps brachii and erector spinae muscles before and after a fatiguing dynamic Ttest. Salusvita Bauru 26(1): 23-37, 2007.
12. Holbein, MA and Chaffin, DB. Stability limits in extreme postures: Effects of load positioning, foot placement, and strength. Human Factors 39(3): 456-468, 1997.
13. Holbein, MA, and Redfern, MS. Functional stability limits while holding loads in various positions. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 19: 387-395, 1997.
14. Kingma, I, Bosch, T, Bruins, L, and van Dieen, JH. Foot positioning instruction, initial vertical load position and lifting technique: Effects on low back loading. Ergonomics 47(13): 1365-1385, 2004.
15. Kirby, RL, Price, NA, and MacLeod, DA. The influence of foot position on standing balance. Journal of Biomechanics 20(4): 423-427, 1987.
16. Kollmitzer, J, Oddsson, L, Ebenbichler, GR, Giphart, JE, and DeLuca, CJ. Postural control during lifting. Journal of Biomechanics 35: 585-594, 2002.
17. Lee, YJ, and Aruin, AS. Three components of postural control associated with pushing in symmetrical and asymmetrical stance. Experimental Brain Research 228: 341-351, 2013.
18. Mackinnon, SN. Effects of standardized foot positions during the execution of a submaximal pulling task. Ergonomics 45(4): 253-266, 2002.
19. Rohlmann, A, Pohl, D, Bender, A, Graichen, F, Dymke, J, Schmidt, H, and Bergmann, G. Activities of everyday life with high spinal loads. PLoS ONE 9(5): e98510, 2014.
20. Sozzi, S, Honeine, JL, Do, MC, and Schieppati, M. Leg muscle activity during tandem stance and the control of body balance in the frontal plane. Clinical Neurophysiology 124: 1175-1186, 2013.
21. Wagner, DW, Reed, MP, and Chaffin, DB. Predicting foot positions for manual materials handling tasks. Digital Human Modeling for Design and Engineering Symposium. SAE International 114(6): 2005.
22. Wang, Z, Molenaar, PMC, and Newell, KM. The effects of foot position and orientation on inter- and intra-foot coordination in standing postures: a frequency domain PCA analysis. Experimental Brain Research 230: 15-27, 2013.
23. Walson, JD. Sacropenia in older adults. Current Opinion in Rheumatology 24(6): 623-627, 2012.
24. Zander, T, Dreischarf, M, Schmidt, H, and Bergmann, G. Spinal loads as influenced by external loads: A combined in vivo and in silico investigation. Journal of Biomechanics 48: 578-584, 2015.