by Jonathan H. Anning, PhD, CSCS,*D, FNSCA, Brock Jensen, PhD, and Christopher Richard Lefever, PT, CSCS
Personal Training Quarterly June 2017
Vol 4, Issue 3
This article originally appeared in Personal Training Quarterly (PTQ)—a quarterly publication for NSCA Members designed specifically for the personal trainer. Discover easy-to-read, research-based articles that take your training knowledge further with Nutrition, Programming, and Personal Business Development columns in each quarterly, electronic issue. Read more articles from PTQ »
1. American College of Sports Medicine. ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription. Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2014.
2. American College of Sports Medicine and American Heart Association. Recommendations for cardiovascular screening, staffing, and emergency policies at health/fitness facilities. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 30:1009-1018, 1998.
3. Anning, J, Lefever, C, and Jensen, B. Selecting a resistance assessment method and an optimal load using regression models. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 27: S111, 2013.
4. Baechle, TR, and Earle, RW. Essentials of Strength and Conditioning. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2008.
5. Baechle, TR, and Earle, RW. Weight Training: Steps to Success. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2012.
6. Bonazza, NA, Smuin, D, Onks, CA, Silvis, ML, and Dhawan, A. Reliability, validity, and injury predictive value of the functional movement screen: A systematic review and meta-analysis. The American Journal of Sports Medicine 45(3): 725-732, 2016.
7. Cardinal, BJ, Esters, J, and Cardinal, MK. Evaluation of the revised physical activity readiness questionnaire in older adults. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 28: 468-472, 1996.
8. Coburn, JW, and Malek, MH. NSCA’s Essentials of Personal Training. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2012.
9. Kinakin, K. Optimal Muscle Training. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2009.
10. Haff, GG, and Triplett, TN. Essentials of Strength Training and Conditioning. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics; 2016.
11. Jensen, BT, Anning, JH, Lin, Y, Lien, C, and Lefever, CR. Using discriminant analysis to predict resistance assessment method selection. Presented at the International Journal of Arts and Sciences: A Multidisciplinary Conference in Bad Hofgastein, Austria on June 2013. Retrieved May 20, 2016 from http://ijas2013badhofgastein.sched.org/event/1akFH2F/ using-discriminant-analysis-to-predict-resistance-assessmentmethod-selection.
12. Shephard, RJ, Thomas, S, and Weller, I. The Canadian Home Fitness Test: 1991 update. Sports Medicine 11: 358-366, 1991.