by Andy Chassé MS
Personal Training Quarterly April 2015
Vol 2, Issue 4
This article originally appeared in Personal Training Quarterly (PTQ)—a quarterly publication for NSCA Members designed specifically for the personal trainer. Discover easy-to-read, research-based articles that take your training knowledge further with Nutrition, Programming, and Personal Business Development columns in each quarterly, electronic issue. Read more articles from PTQ »
1. Bergstra, SA, Kluitenberg, B, Dekker, R, Bredeweg, SW, Postema, K, Van den Heuvel, ER, et al. Running with a minimalist shoe increases plantar pressure in the forefoot region of healthy female runners. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport 18(4): 463-468, 2014.
2. Bonacci, J, Saunders, PU, Hicks, A, Rantalainen, T, Vicenzino, PT, and Spratford, W. Running in a minimalist and lightweight shoe is not the same as running barefoot: A biomechanical study. British Journal of Sports Medicine 47(6): 387-392 2013.
3. Cauthon, DJ, Langer, P, and Coniglione, TC. Minimalist shoe injuries: Three case reports. The Foot 23(2-3): 100-103, 2013.
4. Daoud, AI, Geissler, GJ, Wang, F, Saretsky, J, Daoud, YA, and Lieberman, DE. Foot strike and injury rates in endurance runners: A retrospective study. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 44(7): 1325-1334, 2012.
5. Giuliani, J, Masini, B, Alitz, C, and Owens, BD. Barefoot-simulating footwear associated with metatarsal stress injury in 2 runners. Orthopedics 34(7): 320-323, 2011.
6. Hryvniak, D, Dicharry, J, and Wilder, R. Barefoot running survey: Evidence from the field. Journal of Sport and Health Science 3(2): 131-136, 2014.
7. Kasmer, ME, Ketchum, NC, and Liu, X-C. The effect of shoe type on gait in forefoot strike runners during a 50-km run. Journal of Sport and Health Science 3(2): 122-130, 2014.
8. Lierberman, DE, Davis, IS, and Nigg, BM. Introduction: The past, present, and future of research on running barefoot and in minimal shoes. Journal of Sport and Health Science 3(2): 65-66, 2014.
9. Miller, EE, Whitcome, KK, Lierberman, DE, Norton, HL, and Dyer, RE. The effect of minimal shoes on arch structure and intrinsic foot muscle strength. Journal of Sport and Health Science 3(2): 74-85, 2014.
10. Olin, ED, and Gutierrez, GM. EMG and tibial shock upon the first attempt at barefoot running. Human Movement Science 32(2): 343-352, 2013.
11. Perl, DP, Daoud, AI, and Lieberman, DE. Effects of footwear and strike type on running economy. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 44(7): 1335-1343, 2012.
12. Rooney, BD, and Derrick, TR. Joint contact loading in forefoot and rearfoot strike patterns during running. Journal of Biomechanics 46(13): 2201-2206, 2013.
13. Salzler, MJ, Bluman, EM, Noonan, S, Chiodo, CP, and de Asla, RJ. Injuries observed in minimalist runners. Foot and Ankle International 33(4): 262-266, 2012.
14. Sinclair, J. Effects of barefoot and ba