by Ciara Gonzales, CSCS and Robert Lockie, PhD, TSAC-F
TSAC Report March 2020
Vol 55, Issue 3
This article originally appeared in TSAC Report, the NSCA’s quarterly, online-only publication geared toward the training of tactical athletes, operators, and facilitators. It provides research-based articles, performance drills, and conditioning techniques for operational, tactical athletes. The TSAC Report is only available for NSCA Members. Read more articles from TSAC Report
1. Akuthota, V, Ferreiro, A, Moore, T, and Fredericson, M. Core stability exercise principles. Current Sports Medicine Reports 7(1): 39-44, 2008.
2. Angelini, MJ, Kesler, RM, Petrucci, MN, Rosengren, KS, Horn, GP, and Hsiao-Wecksler, ET. Effects of simulated firefighting and asymmetric load carriage on firefighter obstacle crossing performance. Applied Ergonomics 70: 59-67, 2018.
3. Axler, CT, and McGill, SM. Low back loads over a variety of abdominal exercises: Searching for the safest abdominal challenge. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 29(6): 804-811, 1997.
4. Cesario, K, Dulla, J, Bloodgood, A, Moreno, MR, Dawes, JJ, and Lockie, LG. Relationships between assessments in a physical ability test for law enforcement: Is there redundancy in certain assessments? International Journal of Exercise Science 11(4): 1063-1073, 2018.
5. Chang, AU, and Liebenson, C. The halo exercise for shoulder and thoracic spine mobility. Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies 18(1): 145-147, 2014.
6. Childs, JD, Teyhen, DS, Benedict, TM, Morris, JB, Fortenberry, AD, McQueen, RM, et al. Effects of sit-up training versus core stabilization exercises on sit-up performance. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 41(11): 2072-2083, 2009.
7. Cocke, C, Dawes, J, and Orr, RM. The use of 2 conditioning programs and the fitness characteristics of police academy cadets. Journal of Athletic Training 51(11): 887-896, 2016.
8. Crawley, AA, Sherman, RA, Crawley, WR, and Cosio-Lima, LM. Physical fitness of police academy cadets: baseline characteristics and changes during a 16-week academy. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 30(5): 1416-1424, 2016.
9. Dempsey, PC, Handcock, PJ, and Rehrer, NJ. Impact of police body armour and equipment on mobility. Applied Ergonomics 44(6): 957-961, 2013.
10. Distefano, LJ, Distefano, MJ, Frank, BS, Clark, MA, and Padua, DA. Comparison of integrated and isolated training on performance measures and neuromuscular control. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 27(4): 1083-1090, 2013.
11. Earle, R, and Baechle, T. Resistance Training Program Design. In: Earle, R, and Baechle, T (Eds.), NSCA’s Essentials of Personal Training. Human Kinetics: Champaign, IL; 361-398, 2004.
12. Ekstrom, RA, Donatelli, RA, and Carp, KC. Electromyographic analysis of core trunk, hip, and thigh muscles during 9 rehabilitation exercises. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 37(12): 754-762, 2007.
13. Escamilla, RF, Lewis, C, Pecson, A, Imamura, R, and Andrews, JR. Muscle activation among supine, prone, and side position exercises with and without a swiss ball. Sports Health 8(4): 372-379, 2016.
14. Fredericson, M, and Moore, T. Core stabilization training for middle-and long-distance runners. New Studies in Athletics 20(1): 25-37, 2005.
15. Garcia-Vaquero, MP, Moreside, JM, Brontons-Gil, E, Peco- Gonzalez, N, and Vera-Garcia, FJ. Trunk muscle activation during stabilization exercises with single and double leg support. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 22(3): 398-406, 2012.
16. Gottschall, JS, Mills, J, and Hastings, B. Integration core exercises elicit greater muscle activation than isolation exercises. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 27(3): 590-596, 2013.
17. Holewun, M, and Lotens, W. The influence of backpack design on physical performance. Ergonomics 35(2): 149-157, 1992.
18. Horsak, B, Wunsch, R, Bernhart, P, Gorgas, AM, Bichler, R, and Lampel, K. Trunk muscle activation levels during eight stabilization exercises used in the functional kinetics concept: A controlled laboratory study. Journal of Back and Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation 30(3): 497-508, 2017.
19. Huxel Bliven, KC, and Anderson BE. Core stability training for injury prevention. Sports Health 5(6): 514-522, 2013.
20. Jamnik, VK, Thomas, SG, Shaw, JA, and Gledhill, N. Identification and characterization of the critical physically demanding tasks encountered by correctional officers. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 35(1): 45-58, 2010.
21. Joseph, A, Wiley, A, Orr, R, Schram, B, and Dawes, JJ. The impact of load carriage on measures of power and agility in tactical occupations: A critical review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 15(1): 2018.
22. Kibler, WB, Press, J, and Sciascia, A. The role of core stability in athletic function. Sports Medicine (Auckland, NZ) 36(3): 189-198, 2006.
23. Komi, PV, Viitasalo, JT, Rauramaa, R, and Vihko, V. Effect of isometric strength training of mechanical, electrical, and metabolic aspects of muscle function. European Journal of Applied Physiology and Occupational Physiology 40(1): 45-55, 1978.
24. Kong, YS, Park, S, Kweon, MG, and Park, JW. Change in trunk muscle activities with prone bridge exercise in patients with chronic low back pain. Journal of Physical Therapy Science 28(1): 264-268, 2016.
25. Lockie, RG, Ruvalcaba, TR, Stierli, M, Dulla, JM, Dawes, JJ, and Orr, RM. Waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio in law enforcement agency recruits: Relationship to performance in physical fitness tests. Published ahead of print. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 2018.
26. Lockie, RG, Stierli, M, Cesario, KA, Moreno, MR, Bloodgood, AM, Orr, RM, and Dulla, JM. Are there similarities in physical fitness characteristics of successful candidates attending law enforcement training regardless of training cohort? Journal of Trainology 7(1): 5-9, 2018.
27. Marchetti, PH, Schoenfeld, BJ, Silva, JJ, Guiselini, MA, Freitas, FS, Pecoraro, SL. Muscle activation pattern during isometric ab wheel rollout exercise in different shoulder angle-positions. Medical Express 2(4): 2015.
28. McGill, S, Juker, D, and Kropf, P. Quantitative intramuscular myoelectric activity of quadratus lumborum during a wide variety of tasks. Clinical Biomechanics 11(3): 170-172, 1996.
29. McGill, S. Core training: evidence translating to better performance and injury prevention. Strength and Conditioning Journal 32(3): 33-46, 2010.
30. Michaelides, MA, Parpa, KM, Henry, LJ, Thompson, GB, and Brown, BS. Assessment of physical fitness aspects and their relationship to firefighters’ job abilities. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 25(4): 956-965, 2011.
31. Mendrin, NM, Lynn, SK, Griffith-Merritt, HK, and Noffal, GJ. Progressions of isometric core training. Strength and Conditioning Journal 38(4): 50-65, 2016.
32. Okada, T, Huxel, KC, and Nesser, TW. Relationship between core stability, functional movement, and performance. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 25(1): 252-261, 2011.
33. Orr, R, Dawes, JJ, Pope, R, and Terry, J. Assessing differences in anthropometric and fitness characteristics between police academy cadets and incumbent officers. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 32(9): 2632-2641, 2017.
34. Pawlak, R, Clasey, JL, Palmer, T, Symons, TB, and Abel, MG. The effect of a novel tactical training program on physical fitness and occupational performance in firefighters. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 29(3): 578-588, 2015.
35. Schneiders, AG, Davidsson, A, Horman, E, and Sullivan, SJ. Functional movement screen normative values in a young, active population. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 6(2): 75-82, 2011.
36. Schoenfeld, B, and Contreras, B. Strategies for optimal core training program design. NSCA Performance Training Journal 10: 20-24, 2011.
37. Snarr, RL, and Esco, MR. Electromyographical comparison of plank variations performed with and without instability devices. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 28(11): 3298-3305, 2014.
38. Taylor, NA, Peoples, GE, and Petersen, SR. Load carriage, human performance, and employment standards. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism 41(6 Suppl 2): S131-147, 2016.
39. Yun, B-G, Lee, S-J, So, H-J, and Shin, W-S. Changes in muscle activity of the abdominal muscles according to exercise method and speed during dead bug exercise. Physical Therapy Rehabilitation Science 6(1): 1-6, 2017.