by Trisha B. Stavinoha, MS, RD, CSCS
TSAC Report April 2016
Vol 41, Issue 1
This article originally appeared in TSAC Report, the NSCA’s quarterly, online-only publication geared toward the training of tactical athletes, operators, and facilitators. It provides research-based articles, performance drills, and conditioning techniques for operational, tactical athletes. The TSAC Report is only available for NSCA Members. Read more articles from TSAC Report
1. Branch-Chain Amino Acids. Full Monograph Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. February 2016. Retrieved February 2016 from http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com/nd/Search.as px?cs=DOD&s=ND&pt=100&id=1005&fs=ND&searchid=55386528.
2. Burke, L, and Deakin, V. Clinical Sports Nutrition. (4th ed.) North Ryde, New South Wales, Australia: McGraw-Hill; 459-463, 2010.
3. ConsumerLab.com. HMB. December 2015. Retrieved 2016 from https://www.consumerlab.com/tnp.asp?chunkiid=21551.
4. ConsumerLab.com Product review: Muscle enhancers (creatine and branched-chain amino acids). January 2016. Retrieved 2016 from https://www.consumerlab.com/reviews/review_creatine_BCAAs/creatine/.
5. Elango, R, Chapman, K, Rafii, M, Ball, RO, and Pencharz, PB. Determination of the tolerable upper intake level of leucine in acute dietary studies in young men. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 96: 759-767, 2012.
6. Hydroxymethylbutyrate (HMB). Full Monograph Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. February 2016. Retrieved February 2016 from http://naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch. com/nd/Search.aspx?cs=DOD&s=ND&pt=100&id=45&fs=ND&searchid=55386528.
7. Nissen, S, Sharp, RL, Panton, L, Vukovich, M, Trappe, S, and Fuller, JC Jr. Supplementation in humans is safe and may decrease cardiovascular risk factors. Nutrition 130(8): 1937-1945, 2000.
8. Pasin, G, and Miller, SL. U.S. Dairy Council: U.S. Whey Products and Sports Nutrition. 2000. http://www.southeastdairy.org/wpcontent/uploads/2015/09/WheySports.pdf.
9. Rosenbloom, C, and Coleman, E. Sports Nutrition: A Practice Manual for Professionals. (5th ed.) Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; 2012.
10. Wilson, JM, N, Taylor, L, et al. International Society of Sport Nutrition Position Stand: beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate (HMB). Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition 10(1): 6, 2013.