by Trisha B. Stavinoha, MS, RD, CSCS
TSAC Report February 2016
Vol 39, Issue 1
This article originally appeared in TSAC Report, the NSCA’s quarterly, online-only publication geared toward the training of tactical athletes, operators, and facilitators. It provides research-based articles, performance drills, and conditioning techniques for operational, tactical athletes. The TSAC Report is only available for NSCA Members. Read more articles from TSAC Report
1. Chorley, JN, Cianca, JC, Divine, JG, and Hew, T. Sodium and fluid balance in hyponatremic marathon runners and controls. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 35(5): S1372, 2003.
2. Deuster, P, Singh, A, and Pelletier, P. The Navy SEAL Nutrition Guide. Department of the Navy; 1994.
3. Hecker, AL, and Wheeler, KB. Impact of hydration and energy intake on performance. The Journal of the National Athletic Trainers Association 19: 4-9, 1994.
4. Hew-Butler, T, Rosner, MH, Fowkes-Godek, S, Dugas, J, Hoffman, M, Lewis DP, et al. Statement of the third international exercise-associated hyponatremia consensus development conference, Carlsbad, CA, 2015. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine 25(4): 303-320, 2015
5. Institute of Medicine. Dietary Reference Intakes for Water, Potassium, Sodium, Chloride, and Sulfate. Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 2004.
6. Marriott, BM. Nutritional Needs in Hot Environments: Applications for Military Personnel in Field Operations. Institute of Medicine. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1993.
7. Marriott, BM, and Carlson, SJ. Nutritional Needs in Cold and in High-Altitude Environments: Applications for Military Personnel in Field Operations. Institute of Medicine. Washington, DC: National Academy Press; 1996.
8. Powers, SK, and Howley, ET. Exercise Physiology: Theory and Application to Fitness Performance. (4th ed.) Madison, WI: Brown and Benchmark, 2001.
9. Rosenbloom, C, and Coleman, E. Sports Nutrition: A Practice Manual for Professionals (5th ed). American Dietetic Association; 2012.
10. Sawka, MN, Burke, LM, Eichner, ER, Maughan, RJ, Montain, SJ, Stachenfeld, NS. American College of Sports Medicine position stand: Exercise and fluid replacement. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise 39(2): 377-390, 2007.