by Joshua Shumway, DPT, PT, CSCS
TSAC Report July 2019
Vol 52, Issue 1
This article originally appeared in TSAC Report, the NSCA’s quarterly, online-only publication geared toward the training of tactical athletes, operators, and facilitators. It provides research-based articles, performance drills, and conditioning techniques for operational, tactical athletes. The TSAC Report is only available for NSCA Members. Read more articles from TSAC Report
1. Armed Forces Health Surveillance Branch. Absolute and Relative Morbidity Burdens Attributable to Various Illnesses and Injuries, Active Component, U.S. Armed Forces. Medical Surveillance Monthly Report 25(5): 2-9, 2018.
2. Bird, SP, and Markwick, WJ. Musculoskeletal screening and functional testing: Considerations for basketball athletes. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 11(5): 784-802, 2016.
3. Bonazza, NA, Smuin, D, Onk, CA, Silvis, ML, and Dhawan, A. Reliability, validity, and injury predictive value of the Functional Movement Screen: A systematic review and meta-analysis. American Journal of Sports Medicine 45(3): 725-732, 2017.
4. Bulzacchelli, M, Sulsky, S, Zhu, L, Brandt, S, and Barenberg, A. The cost of basic combat training injuries in the U.S. Army: Injury-related medical care and risk factors. Final Technical Report. Military Performance Division, U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine. 2017.
5. Chimera, N, and Warren, M. Use of clinical movement screening tests to predict injury in sport. World Journal of Orthopedics 7(4): 202-217, 2016.
6. Colyer, SL, Evans, M, Cosker, DP, and Salo, AIT. A review of the evolution of vision-based motion analysis and the integration of advanced computer vision methods towards developing a markerless system. Sports Medicine Open 5; 4(1): 24, 2018.
7. Cubano, M. Aeromedical Evacuation. Emergency War Surgery. Fort Sam Houston, TX: Borden Institute; 47-59, 2013.
8. Dao, D, Sodhi, S, Tabasinejad, R, Peterson, D, Ayeni, OR, Bhandari, M, and Farrokhyar, F. Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels and stress fractures in military personnel: A systematic review and meta-analysis. The American Journal of Sports Medicine 43(8): 2064-2072, 2015.
9. de Oliveira, V, Pitangui, A, Nascimento, V, da Silva, H, Dos Passos, M, and de Araújo, R. Test-retest reliability of the closed kinetic chain upper extremity stability test (CKCUEST) in adolescents: Reliability of CKCUEST in adolescents. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 12(1): 125-132, 2017.
10. Dorrel, B, Long, T, Shaffer, S, and Myer, G. Evaluation of the Functional Movement Screen as an injury prediction tool among active adult populations: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Sports Health 7(6): 532-537, 2015.
11. Gonell, AC, Romero, JA, and Soler, LM. Relationship between the y balance test scores and soft tissue injury incidence in a soccer team. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 10(7): 955-66, 2015.
12. Hauret, KG, Bedno S, Loringer K, Kao TC, Mallon T, and Jones BH. Epidemiology of exercise- and sports-related injuries in a population of young, physically active adults: A survey of military servicemembers. The American Journal of Sports Medicine 43(11): 2645-2653, 2015.
13. Haynes, H. NFPA report - Firefighter injuries in the United States. Retrieved July 9, 2018, from https://www.nfpa.org/ News-and-Research/Fire-statistics-and-reports/Fire-statistics/ The-fire-service/Fatalities-and-injuries/Firefighter-injuries-inthe-United-States.
14. McGuine, T. Sports injuries in high school athletes: A review of injury-risk and injury-prevention research. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine 16(6): 488-499, 2006.
15. Moran, RW, Schneiders, AG, Mason, J, and Sullivan, SJ. Do Functional Movement Screen (FMS) composite scores predict subsequent injury? A systematic review with meta-analysis. British Journal of Sports Medicine 51(23): 1661-1669, 2017.
16. Office of Public Health, Department of Veterans Affairs. Analysis of VA Health Care Utilization among Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), and Operation New Dawn (OND) Veterans. June, 2015.
17. Office of the Under Secretary of Defense (Comptroller). National Defense Budget Estimates for FY 2015. April, 2014.
18. Otsuki, R, Kuramochi, R, and Fukubayashi, T. Effect of injury prevention training on knee mechanics in female adolescents during puberty. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 9(2): 149-156, 2014.
19. Plisky, PJ, Rauh, MJ, Kaminski, TW, and Underwood, FB. Star excursion balance test as a predictor of lower extremity injury in high school basketball players. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 36(12): 911-919, 2006.
20. Renstrom, P, Ljungqvist, A, Arendt, E, Beynnon, B, Fukubayashi, T, Garrett, W, et al. Non-contact ACL injuries in female athletes: An International Olympic Committee current concepts statement. British Journal of Sports Medicine 42(6): 394-412, 2008.
21. Richmond, S, Kang, J, Doyle-Baker, P, Nettel-Aguirre, A, and Emery, C. A school-based injury prevention program to reduce sport injury risk and improve healthy outcomes in youth: A pilot cluster-randomized controlled trial. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine 26(4): 291-298, 2016.
22. Roy, TC. Diagnoses and mechanisms of musculoskeletal injuries in an infantry brigade combat team deployed to Afghanistan evaluated by the brigade physical therapist. Military Medicine 176(8): 903-908, 2011.
23. Shumway, J, Anderson, D, and Bishop, B. Effectiveness of an injury prevention warm-up for unit physical training: A case series of two flying squadrons. Military Medicine 181(5 Suppl): 95-103, 2016.
24. Tenforde, A, Barrack, M, Nattiv, A, and Fredericson, M. Parallels with the female athlete triad in male athletes. Sports Medicine (Auckland, N.Z.) 46(2): 171-182, 2016.
25. Thorborg, K, Krommes, K, Esteve, E, Clausen, M, Bartels, E, and Rathleff, M. Effect of specific exercise-based football injury prevention programmes on the overall injury rate in football: A systematic review and meta-analysis of the FIFA 11 and 11+ programmes. British Journal of Sports Medicine 51(7): 562-571, 2017.
26. Tiesman, H, Gwilliam, M, Konda, S, Rojek, J, and Marsh, S. Nonfatal injuries to law enforcement officers: A rise in assaults. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 54(4): 503-509, 2018.
27. van der Horst, N, Smits, D, Petersen, J, Goedhart, E, and Backx, F. The preventive effect of the Nordic hamstring exercise on hamstring injuries in amateur soccer players: a randomized controlled trial. The American Journal of Sports Medicine 43(6): 1316-1323, 2015.
28. Westrick, RB, Miller, JM, Carow, SD, and Gerber, JP. Exploration of the y-balance test for assessment of upper quarter closed kinetic chain performance. International Journal of Sports Physical Therapy 7(2): 139-147, 2015.